Entry costs for funrides

Brent

...1 x road...there need to be traffic officials present....and the MINIMUM fee would be R11 - R15k.

there's the problem - why should there be more than one, and why should he be paid a month's salary, for a Saturday morning's work?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... the amount cleared was so limited that we were considering not hosting ... to balance entry fees accordingly.

There's your problem - take a leaf from Tax101 --> often when you increase the tax rate, you end up getting less tax in total. Remember for this type of "cash cow", it is really the marginal entrant that super-boosts your profit. So lower the fee, increase the number of entrants, and Bob's your uncle?

On the matter of PPA....I've seen from a "reliable source" that the PPA bank balance currently stands close to R20m ...can you believe that?? I diod bot realize that the PPA's mission was to create a surplus fund to generate massive interest from?? :eek: . actually - one can get their past annual financial statements and verify this for oneself.

This is a very important point and perhaps we need to ask them what is their finance committee's policy with regard to accumulation of reserves. An NGO's financialy sustainability is largely dependant on a diversified income portfolio and accumulation of reserves. PPA's R20 million rand in the bank is the exception rather than the norm where most NGO's live month by month with a few having cash in the bank to cover 12 months operating costs (not good). You have to save money for a rainy day, that ensures financial sustainability and gives donors and the public confidence that the organisation will still be around. The only question begging is what is acceptable level of reserves for a PPA entity. Well, their operating expenses is just under R 5 mill per annum, include inflation, if PPA were to receive no money (unlikely) they will be able to operate for 3 years. so that is very reassuring. Now throw in the scenario that they lose the cycle tour (remember that was a discussion not to long ago), 1 or 2 big sponsors suddenly withdraw (which happened to many NGO's post 2008) then all of a sudden R 20 million is not alot of money. I don't have an issue with their reserve because they also make money off investments, I would like it to remain at a 3 year level of 'cover'. But we can go to their AGM, ask the question, I'm sure the finance dudes will explain the justification of it, and I'm pretty sure I'm not so far off course.

on the otherhand, I saw many donors not fund organisations because they are deemed healthy and the next year the NGO closes because income took a knock for a host of reasons. The NGO sector is very volatile, largely unpredictable.

I don't understand why cycling races are so expensive. I have moved over to the darkside of running. Entering a 42km race costs about R140, and a 21km costs about R80. (This is excluding a temporary licence fee) There are also road closures, marshalls, water tables etc. I think planning a running race or a cycling race will take the same amount of effort/ man power etc. So my question to all cycling race organisers are why is the cycling races DOUBLE the price of a running race?

PS. My husband did the Fast one last weekend. He didn't get a goody bag. I did the Johnson Crane race. I got a t-shirt, and a diary.

I don't understand why cycling races are so expensive. I have moved over to the darkside of running. Entering a 42km race costs about R140, and a 21km costs about R80. (This is excluding a temporary licence fee) There are also road closures, marshalls, water tables etc. I think planning a running race or a cycling race will take the same amount of effort/ man power etc. So my question to all cycling race organisers are why is the cycling races DOUBLE the price of a running race?

PS. My husband did the Fast one last weekend. He didn't get a goody bag. I did the Johnson Crane race. I got a t-shirt, and a diary.

Move to Cape Town and join PPA - Medallion Tour de Stellenbosch 101km is R95 to enter. Bay City 84km is R90. :thumbup:

Move to Cape Town and join PPA - Medallion Tour de Stellenbosch 101km is R95 to enter. Bay City 84km is R90. :thumbup:

Rollercoaster over the same route as Baycity is R160.00. Riddle me that one......

As mentioned somewhere else, 'coaster has a lack of sponsorship, so entries are higher. Add Bay + coaster entries together, divide by 2 and it's a smaller amount. For one of them, at least.