Geraint Thomas down in a crash

He's okay and back on his bike...

Edited by ' Dale

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

David Tanner (Tinkoff-Saxo) has been brought down by a crash and the peloton splits in two soon afterwards. A group of around 35 riders have a lead of ten seconds or so over the main body of the bunch, but in spite of the sinious roads, it should come back together again.

The break, meanwhile, are on the Cauberg, where Mohoric forces the pace, renewing acquaintances with the climb on which he forged his junior world title in 2012.

Word reaching us from the main peloton that Geraint Thomas (Sky) was caught up in a crash, although the Welshman is back on his back and chasing on.

The main bunch is back together after that earlier split, and while GreenEdge and Movistar continue to lead, a delegation of Astana jerseys is moving towards the head of the bunch.

The ten leaders cross the finish line for the second time with a lead of seven minutes over the main peloton. There are twelve of the 34 climbs still to come in the remaining 88 kilometres, with the Geulhemmerberg next on the agenda.

The peloton is now on the cavernous Cauberg for the second time, and faced by a wall of noise to match the gradient they face. Movistar continue to lead, although Michael Schar (BMC) is also up there keeping a watching brief for Philippe Gilbert.

There's a mechnical problem for Bauke Mollema (Belkin) after the Cauberg, and he is forced to change bikes. The Dutchman is now tucked into the race convoy and trying to latch back on to the main peloton.

It's been reported that Dan Martin (Garmin-Sharp) has also abandoned Amstel Gold Race, and Haimar Zubeldia (Trek) has also withdrawn from the race.

69km remaining from 251.8km

Heading towards the Bemelerberg, the peloton has slashed the break's lead to a shade over six minutes, with Orica-GreenEdge particularly active at the head of the bunch in support of Simon Gerrans. On the eve of the race, Cyclingnews visited the GreenEdge hotel to run the rule over Gerrans' Scott Foil bike for the Ardennes Classiccs and you can watch the video here.

The black jerseys of Omega Pharma-QuickStep are now also moving towards the head of the peloton in a bid to move Michal Kwiatkowski towards the front. Right at the back, meanwhile, the ever tranquillo Carlos Betancur is sitting calmly surrounded by Ag2r teammates.

The break's lead is beginning to tumble quite steadily now. It stands at 5:39, while a number of riders are beginning to be jettisoned off the back on the Bemelerberg as Tinkoff-Saxo hit the front in support of Roman Kreuziger. Betancur will need to start moving up through the peloton before it fractures completely.

The break continues to collaborate smoothly but a number of its members are beginning to flag a little, including Nicola Boem (Bardiani-CSF).

Sky's Ian Boswell is one of the riders dropped by the main bunch. His teammates Josh Edmondson and Geraint Thomas have already abandoned incidentally, although Ben Swift and Edvald Boasson Hagen are presumably still in the body of the peloton.