The Classics

T-Bob

Van Avermaet, Leukemans, Weening, Kolobnev and Martens catch back up to Weening and Fuglsang on the descent, and still the main peloton has yet to bridge the gap.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15km remaining from 251.8km

Riblon and Van Hecke, meanwhile, still have 44 seconds in hand and continue to collaborate smoothly as they barrel towards the penultimate climb of the Bemelerberg.

Van Avermaet and Fuglsang accelerate away from the remants of the chase group. Their erstwhile companions have been swallowed by the main peloton.

We haven't had a decent look at the faces in the main peloton for quite some time, but some fast finishers like Michael Matthews (Orica-GreenEdge), Ben Swift (Sky) and Yukiya Arashiro (Europcar) seem to be still in there.

Van Avermaet and Fuglsang make contact with Riblon and Van Hecke out in front as they approach the foot of the Bemelerberg, but the bunch is not far behind.

Fuglsang forces the pace in the four-man leading group at the foot of the Bemelerberg, and Preben Van Hecke is quickly dropped. Garmin and QuickStep lead the main peloton some 14 seconds back.

Giampaolo Caruso (Katusha) attacks out of the peloton in pursuit of the four leaders, and he is dragging a QuickStep rider with him.

Once Caruso makes it across, Van Avermaet puts in a dig of his own and alone at the head of the race. The main peloton is about to swallow the rest of the break, however.

Van Avermaet fades over the top of the climb and Caruso and Fuglsang are the next to try their luck, but the bunch is almost upon them.

Gruppo compatto with a shade under 7 kilometres remaining. Fabian Wegman's chasing for Garmin brought the bunch back up to the leaders, and now Vincenzo Nibali is setting the pace in front. There will be 50 riders or so in the main bunch when it hits the foot of the Cauberg.

A delegation of Orica-GreenEdge riders takes over at the head of the peloton. Michael Matthews sits in fourth wheel and Simon Gerrans is in there too. This is an ideal situation for the Australian squad, with two serious options for the finale.

A delegation of Orica-GreenEdge riders takes over at the head of the peloton. Michael Matthews sits in fourth wheel and Simon Gerrans is in there too. This is an ideal situation for the Australian squad, with two serious options for the finale.