The Classics

T-Bob

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch, that is a shame so close to Roubaix.

Reports that a woman crossed the street in front of the race and that's what took out Vansummeren, and that's the crash that took down Vanmarcke.

The break for the day:

Stig Broeckx (Lotto Belisol), Davide Appolonio (AG2R), Daryl Impey (Orica-GreenEdge), Raymond Kreder (Garmin-Sharp),Wesley Kreder (Wanty Group), Alexander Kuchynski (Katusha), Andrea Palini (Lampre Merida), Taylor Phinney (BMC), James Vanlandschoot (Wanty Group), Jelle Wallays (Topsport Vlaanderen) and Romain Zingle (Cofidis)

It looks like a persistent attacks have worked and we now have a group of leaders. Phinney is in there for BMC. Will the likes of Cannonale and Omega let that one go? Paolini is also there.

Both Kreders are in the lead move, Impey as well but the realisation that Phinney and Paolini have made the jump could spark the peloton into action.

CRASH

Durbridge is on his way to hospital for a check up. He was sitting up when we say him leave the race though.

IAM Cycling's Martin Elmiger is out. Another victim from the early crashes that have plagued the race.

That's a strong break for the race. It's an indication of what BMC are trying to do in terms of anticipate the moves later from Omega, Cannondale and Trek. Lampre, Katusha, and Lotto, who had a good race here last year. Also have a man in the move.

A rider that stands out is Kuchynski. He's been on the attack in this race before, during his Liquigas days, and he's finished second in Gent-Wevelgem before. Not a bad rider for Katusha to throw up the road for later.

Omega Pharma Quick-Step, Sky, Cannondale and Trek have all decided to hold off and save their powder for later in the race.

60km into the race and the leaders have 5'08. There are reports that Sep Vanmarcke was another rider to fall early on. He's still in the race though.

Now Garmin have lost a rider and it's former Paris-Roubaix winner Vansummeren. He was also involved in the earlier crashes. That's a big blow for the American team.