Please advise - Budget Constraints vs type and wheels size

eelvio

Hey Hubbers

So the wheel debate has been going on and has even moved past the 26" to 27.5".

A friend and I have debated, discussed, asked and been told all sorts of advice on what bike to buy. Following the unwritten rules of size, type of riding and wheel size, we are still in a dilemma.

A L or XL 29er seems to be the best option for wheel size, both of us between 1.85m and 1.95m tall and weighing 105 and 100kg's respectively. He has ridden a good spec duel sus 26" carbon on a few trails in Tokai while I have a 29" HT with average spec. We both seem to be liking the trails especially the single track and I ride to work a few days a week. Thought that would be more what I would do hence the HT now thinking to add duel sus 26er to my options.

The big question is budget:

1. Does he buy a good spec 2nd hand 26" for about R10k now considering the price of a 29er if it means being able to ride and maybe upgrade a year from now? Or wait and buy a 29er later when he has the budget for a 15-20k bike but then does not ride until then.

2. Do I buy a 26" duel sus as a second bike or sell the HT add some cash and buy a duel sus 29er or keep the Rockhopper for now?

3. Where can we get test bikes in CT where we can ride them back to back on a decent trail so as to get a proper idea of how we feel on the various sizes vs the riding experience? ie. I ride one half way up come down and swap do the same thing. I think neither of us know the trails/bikes well enough to ride them on different days and be able to make an informed decision.

What say you?

1. your friend should buy a good 2nd hand 29er HT. seen a few good 2013 models at around the 12K price. even a DS demo for 13K

(your option of saving up and not riding for a bit so he can by a better spec is stupid and you should be shot for just thinking that.

2. if you like trails. but also like normal stuff. keep the HT or upgrade and stick to HT.

then get yourself a lekker 2ndhand DHill monster. there is ALOT of them onsale atm. especially in cape town. just search gumtree and the hub.

3. ride what you like. had a guy on a 26er last night take it head to head with the 29er top laaities at our thursday night XCO race

1. your friend should buy a good 2nd hand 29er HT. seen a few good 2013 models at around the 12K price. even a DS demo for 13K

(your option of saving up and not riding for a bit so he can by a better spec is stupid and you should be shot for just thinking that.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if the topic bores you to death but it is important to us getting into the sport especially those who cannot throw R30k at an "entry level" race bike.

Its neither my thought nor is it a suggestion not to ride, however it is a reality. Not being able to buy a duel sus 29er like so many have told him to and by saying don't waste your money on a 26er will mean not riding until he can buy one. As for the duel sus I have already replaced a rim on the HT because I landed badly on a jump i did not mean to or want to go over, so there is a lot to the decision.

If there are other topics with these discussions please point us there.

I recently bought a Trance, all XT, at a good price as no-one wants a 26'er apparently!

Makes no difference to me as I will never win any races anyway!