Using a Downhill bike everyday

geemobee

a shorter shock will "destroy" the designed geometry of the frame .. making it even worse to ride than just as a std DH rig ...

As eveyone has said - you can use a DH bike to commute but in all honesty its not worth it ...

If you are still wanting a bike that can handle some off road and downhills (not super hectic - but still fun DH's) ... look at a full suspension trail bike with 6 inches of travel ... This way the geometry is suited more to normal riding and will therefore be easier to commute on ... but you can still have fun with the bike.

Something like a

Giant Trance -

GT Force -

Merida 140

:whistling: :oops:

Okay my thinking was, shorter shock to make day to day riding easier?

Am I barking down the wrong hill here?

Totally barking mad. Leave it as is just raise the seat so you can sit on it and ride it dammit. And stop asking silly questions on the Hub :whistling: .

messing with any bike's designed rear shock length is not a good idea. There's a reason those engineers get paid the big bucks.

If you want something that's fun on the downhills but also capable to commute on... then an AM (All Mountain) bike is the best bet (as Nigel said). These are typically 140 - 160mm travel. The difference between 160 and 200 (on the DH bike) is VERY noticeable when it comes to pedal efficiency.

If your main reason for wanting the DH bike is because you love the look of double crown forks... then look for an older Specialized Enduro. (Withe approx 150mm travel, it will still handle the downs, and be easier to pedal on).

http://halffastcycling.com/market/pictures/listings/110_16.jpg

Generally for SA though... if one were to only have ONE BIKE (heaven forbid), then an AM bike is probably the best all rounder. Practically all the downhill courses in SA can be ridden on an AM bike. One probably won't podium on it at DH or Marathons, but they will have fun.

DH bikes in SA only really serve a purpose if they're being raced on DH courses (I'll be first to admit I'm guilty of this). Overseas however, there are far more DH bike friendly trails for riders just to have fun on, without the competitive race element. (This is the reason I hang onto my DH bike).

So yeah... all rounder... think 140 - 160mm travel.

n + 1.... You definitely NEED a bike for commuting. You obviously also NEED a bike for XC, Enduro, Road, Tri..... Seriously? You cant just ride a bike as a bike! It was made for DOWNHILL!!!! I sincerely hope you walk up the hills while you commute?!

The Enduro/AM bikes of today are probably just as (if not more) capable than many of the DH bikes from 6+ years ago.

Capt. Mayhem can attest to this when he went from an older GT DH bike to a new Giant Reign X