Jonkershoek trail map, Help us make a live one

extremelights

Well there are some nice maps available for Jonkershoek but none to my knowledge are live maps. We need your help to get the first live map for Jonkershoek at the gate.

As a test we plan to map all the routes in Jonkershoek and make a big map that shows the different routes. The plan is to put this up at the gate for all to use and maybe some copies also. At this stage the map at the gate is not very clear and does not show many of the trails. We plan to make it live by placing QR code which links to the different routes for each . All you do is scan the code and import the kml file in to your phone using Google earth or My tracks etc. You can also import them to Strava or Endemondo if you wish but that will have to be done at home. I don't think Strava or Endemodo apps can import at this stage.

This is a testing project and we will need your help to get more of the unexplored trails. If we get the local support we will do this for other areas also.

If you would like to contribute just email(Support@extremelights.co.za) your activities.

Here is how you can export them from Strava and Endemodo

We would prefer if the format of your activity is gpx, .tcx or kml.

We will remove any personal data from the activities so you don't have to worry about that.

Edited by extremelights

Fantastic idea! I'm in... Will send you guys some gpx's...

:-) I think it is time for real maps that helps us find that amazing track. I know strava and endemodo does that to some extend but a big poster is so much better to look at than a small screen. And if you can then choose the route you want and just download it and go, it would be great.

Edited by extremelights

:-) I think it is time for real maps that helps us find that amazing track. I know strava and endemodo does that to some extend but a big poster is so much better to look at than a small screen. And if you can then choose the route you want and just download it and go, it would be great.

Contact the guys from irideafrica.com

They've done a lot of work mapping the trails already and have most if not all on &.gpx and mapped out.

http://www.irideafrica.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/iRA-2014-Jonkershoek-map1.jpg

Here is a proof of concept

Banhoek2test.jpg

This is the first very rough test. There are lots of things to sort out but it might work well.

I did it for Banhoek where I live.

To track the route you will need to download the kml file. Use a QR scanner to get the file

To view it you can use Google earth. I have it installed on my phone.

To track it you can use My Tracks. Just need to move the kml file to the My Tracks folder and import it.

The plan is to make one big map for Jonkerhoek and have several tracks listed. With length and climes details for each.

To do this I need more data. Other mapping places will sell me the data but this is going to cost a lot in effort and printing already. So you can help by emailing me your gpx files of the area.

If you like to donate to fast track the project you are more than welcome but at this stage your Endemondo and strava logs will be more valuable.

If you would like to contribute just email(Support@extremelights.co.za) your activities.

Here is how you can export them from Strava and Endemodo

We would prefer if the format of your activity is gpx, but .tcx or kml will work.

We will remove any personal data from the activities so you don't have to worry about that.

If your rides are in strava you can export them to gpx very easily

strava.JPG

Then email me the rides to support@extremelights.co.za

So far I have about 7 Logs.

If your rides are in strava you can export them to gpx very easily

strava.JPG

Then email me the rides to support@extremelights.co.za

So far I have about 7 Logs.

Have you made contact with Iride yet?

Was planning a map for Jonkers in the same style as my Table Mountain and Tokai maps.

If you guys can pool your resources, it will make things a lot easier/quicker/etc. rather than everyone doing the same thing.

If you want to use it as an excuse to go ride, that's also cool :thumbup:

If you guys can pool your resources, it will make things a lot easier/quicker/etc. rather than everyone doing the same thing.

If you want to use it as an excuse to go ride, that's also cool :thumbup:

Suspect a print version will work better for the bulk of the riders. My maps have QR codes on them so you can go to the TMB website to download the pdf on to your phone as well.

Suspect a print version will work better for the bulk of the riders. My maps have QR codes on them so you can go to the TMB website to download the pdf on to your phone as well.

I think you're right, but in terms of getting sharing the trails logs, etc. How they get implemented/displayed etc. is up to the different parties.

What would be cool is big map at the trail entrance, printed handheld copies if you want, small QR code on the big map for those who are a bit more tech savvy. (This is kind of what I've seen at ski-resort)