Mount your phone onto the Handlebars

Claytonb

Hi,

I have an old Samsung Galaxy S2 that I would like to mount onto my handlebars in order to make use of apps like:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.runtastic.android.mountainbike.lite

and

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.strava

Has anyone purchased and used such a mounting and if so I would really appreciate some feedback on your experience with it.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I found two options, one MTB specific, and one motorbike specific. I use the all alumium motorbike one. Got it at Vodacom store in East rand mall. Will find the make and model for you.

I found two options, one MTB specific, and one motorbike specific. I use the all alumium motorbike one. Got it at Vodacom store in East rand mall. Will find the make and model for you.

Fantastic, thanks very much!

It's a Capdase Racer. That's the mbike version, was like 50 bucks more than the mtb version, and has been on my mbike in use for nearly three years.

MTB version: http://www.capdase.com/en/product5.php?cid=1&bid=27&mid=865&pid=11507

Motorbike version: http://www.capdase.com/en/product5.php?cid=1&bid=27&mid=865&pid=11510

Similar, but I found the motorbike one had less plastic and felt a lot more solid.

I took a car window mount for the S2, removed the window sucker, and the charger plug, bit of double sided tape + insulation tape, and bobs your uncle....

post-41865-0-44719300-1392142237_thumb.jpg

post-41865-0-33618500-1392142252_thumb.jpg

When I think its going to rain, I put it in a zip lock bag. It still fits in to the mount (just), and the touch screen still works thorugh the bag.

Running AOKP and My Tracks, with gsm, wireless, and bluetooth off, I've recoreded upto 12 hours before the battery goes flat.

P.S. the best app imho: Google My Tracks

Edited by GaryvdM

Bar fly make a really neat one for the iPhone as well !

It's water proof , I use it in the pool with my 2 year old .

I took a car window mount for the S2, removed the window sucker, and the charger plug, bit of double sided tape + insulation tape, and bobs your uncle....

When I think its going to rain, I put it in a zip lock bag. It still fits in to the mount (just), and the touch screen still works thorugh the bag.

Running AOKP and My Tracks, with gsm, wireless, and bluetooth off, I've recoreded upto 12 hours before the battery goes flat.

P.S. the best app imho: Google My Tracks

Thanks Gary, it seems I'm in luck, I actually have one of those exact mounts lying around.

I have one question though. Apart from the double sided tape, have you used anything else inbetween the mount and the handlebar? it looks like it might loosen itself over time due to it being attached to a circular surface. I can't quite see what makes it appear so stable.

Perhaps the insulation tape is taut enough to ensure that it doesn't move?

Edited by Claytonb

We will be touring Barcelona by bicycle, later this year and I wanted to mount my smartphone on the bike's handle bar to view the Bike City Guide navigation app. The folks at BikeCityGuide sell a unique silicone bike mount, called the Finn, which accommodates any phone. I've ordered two via friends living in the UK (they don't ship outside the EU at the moment) and have to admit that the mount is simple and simply fantastic! See: http://getfinn.com/

post-19702-0-62623000-1392182000_thumb.png

Another option is a pouch, strapped to your bicycle's top tube. It protects your mobile from water and dust and also provides a handy storage space for things you want to carry with you. A huge selection can be ordered online from DealXtreme.com (China). See: http://dx.com/s/bicycle+cellphone+bag Just make sure of the size to accommodate your specific cell phone.

Thanks Gary, it seems I'm in luck, I actually have one of those exact mounts lying around.

I have one question though. Apart from the double sided tape, have you used anything else inbetween the mount and the handlebar? it looks like it might loosen itself over time due to it being attached to a circular surface. I can't quite see what makes it appear so stable.

Perhaps the insulation tape is taut enough to ensure that it doesn't move?

The mount makes 3 contact points:at the top of the stem, the 2 small cylinders for the bolts for the handle bar clamp, and the steer post cap. It does not touch the main cylindrical part of the stem. 3 points makes a plane, so there is no twisting. (The insulation tap is taut though anyway.)

The mount makes 3 contact points:at the top of the stem, the 2 small cylinders for the bolts for the handle bar clamp, and the steer post cap. It does not touch the main cylindrical part of the stem. 3 points makes a plane, so there is no twisting. (The insulation tap is taut though anyway.)

Thanks again for all the advice Gary. I'm going to give it a shot over the weekend and will post my results once its complete.

Gary, tried it with my S2 the weekend on the USN race and it worked 100% thanks for the tip, my S2 doesn't have to lie in the cupboard anymore!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a stack Gary! I have mounted the S2 car dock as described and it works like a charm. Here is a picture.

post-54842-0-13832400-1393946262_thumb.jpg

I am also very glad that I am able to put my S2 to good use :D

Now for the next very important question, what software are you running. ROM and APP if possible please.

Thanks!