PPA versus CSA

mallo

Another fact overlooked by most commentators, CSA spent R681k on travel and entertainment in 2012, the PPA fees paid to CSA in the last year of full membership was R612K

In 2013, CSA sent a team JNR track Cycling World Championships. The cost per person was in excess of R 40 000. Because of the lack of funding, the honor to represent their country had to be self funded. This cost, for one team only was in excess of R 500 000. Included were 12 riders, a manager and a coach. Travelling costs of R 681 000 does not take you very far if you want to compete Internationally

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SASCOC...the sages in charge. Enough to make one weep.

And now you grind your axe with SASSCOC to the detriment of our future riders?

And now you grind your axe with SASSCOC to the detriment of our future riders?

FFS it is SASCOC not SASSCOC!!!! Get it right if you want to defend the gravy drinkers.

Yes, because they are there to look after interest of SA sport and their record does not show that. Yet they spend lots of money on sport awards, their own staff travelling expenses, ..... the list goes on.

Again, why do you think the ppa was targeted?

You seem to know a lot about the real facts. Now tell me, why did PPA, out of their own choice, not attend the meeting where the changes in the constitution were discussed. You also choose not to mention the fact that the change in constitution was not CSA's doing, but was enforced by Sasscoc. Failing this South Africa wouldn't be allowed to send a team to Olympics anyway - not that this would bother you at all, I suppose.

Probably because it was a done deal anyway and the PPA's presence would have made no difference.

And Sascoc's Tubby Reddy and Gideon Sam are always in the news for the wrong reasons.

Edit: If I recall correctly a company owned by Sam landed a nice contract with CSA as the changes were made .

Edited by Blokman

Well.. regardless of who's responsibility it is to make cycling better.. i feel they should start with schools.. If cycling can become a "school sport" meaning in every school as possible our future champs will rise without funding and well see them come out the ranks. Then from there we can easily see who's the next Daryl Impey's etc. As with rugby once it become something everybody is doing (in school) well see riders that might compete in europe.. i travel a lot to europe and i always say they have a cycling culture there… and i believe thats what we need to focus on. If you start young you'll never loose those skills !

Just my 2 cents..

In 2013, CSA sent a team JNR track Cycling World Championships. The cost per person was in excess of R 40 000. Because of the lack of funding, the honor to represent their country had to be self funded. This cost, for one team only was in excess of R 500 000. Included were 12 riders, a manager and a coach. Travelling costs of R 681 000 does not take you very far if you want to compete Internationally

The lack of funding!? They get approx R 20m per year from Lotto. Which they squander on awards and back pockets, instead of using to further the careers of riders and support professional cyclists who need to go overseas to compete.

ALL they wanted was PPA's bank balance. That's what it boils down to. What they (and SASCOC) need to realise is that they are there for one purpose and one purpose only - to foster development of already promising riders and to ensure proper representation at global events.

Well.. regardless of who's responsibility it is to make cycling better.. i feel they should start with schools.. If cycling can become a "school sport" meaning in every school as possible our future champs will rise without funding and well see them come out the ranks. Then from there we can easily see who's the next Daryl Impey's etc. As with rugby once it become something everybody is doing (in school) well see riders that might compete in europe.. i travel a lot to europe and i always say they have a cycling culture there… and i believe thats what we need to focus on. If you start young you'll never loose those skills !

Just my 2 cents..

That's what the PPA is trying to do at the moment - get the grassroots development going. Unfortunately once the talents are identified, CSA has no further structures in place to foster the development... So they just go overseas, if the kids have the money, instead of being sent to centres of excellence like other countries have.

Just my 2 cents..

Maybe, but there are schools with strong MTB programs.

Also worthwhile to read this article:

http://www.moneyweb.co.za/moneyweb-business-of-sport/cycling-is-the-new-golf

"Arguably the fastest-growing sport in South Africa, cycling has taken the nation by storm"

"Conservative estimates put the value of the cycling-as-sport industry in South Africa at R600m. But Stephen Reardon, CEO of MoreCycle, which houses Cycle Lab, thinks this figure is around R1bn."

There is no shortage of interest or money in cycling. It is a question of channeling it in the right direction. Also stop expecting handouts and make it work for our cyclists (CSA's job). And CSA + SASCOC must start working in that direction instead of having cheap shots at already successful and cash flush organisations.

If they get their house in order those corporates and other sponsors will follow suite.

This is a problem for all sports not just cycling. Archers ,wrestlers ,rowers name them. The question is why should an organisation that has run its affairs well, be asked to foot these bills with little or no say in the matter

This is a problem for all sports not just cycling. Archers ,wrestlers ,rowers name them. The question is why should an organisation that has run its affairs well, be asked to foot these bills with little or no say in the matter

Exactly!

SA waterpolo players had to pay 27k each to go to Commonwealth Games in Scotland, including a 4k fee for team management.

Yes, because they are there to look after interest of SA sport and their record does not show that. Yet they spend lots of money on sport awards, their own staff travelling expenses, ..... the list goes on.

Again, why do you think the ppa was targeted?

You are wrong, the PPA WAS NOT TARGETED. THEY WERE WILLINGLY A PART OF THE PROCESS!!!!!!!

Exactly!

SA waterpolo players had to pay 27k each to go to Commonwealth Games in Scotland, including a 4k fee for team management.

The fact is that PPA was a willing participant under CSA umbrella for many years, with full knowledge of their financial obligations.

For many years CSA allowed them to proper. The CSA business plan relied on their members, of which PPA was one until recently, to provide an income stream. Other sport bodies do exactly the same. Do you thing Cricket South Africa or South African Rugby Board live from own income? No, they have similar business plans to CSA where their members contribute through ticket sales - similar to a levy on cycling entries.

Actually PPA was NOT a WILLING participant. They participated because it was expected to do so. Once it became clear that PPA was just going to be used as a cash cow and that the PPA brand would be devalued, the fight started

You are wrong, the PPA WAS NOT TARGETED. THEY WERE WILLINGLY A PART OF THE PROCESS!!!!!!!

Excuse my ignorance but why did PPA go to court in the first place?

And why this in their affidavit:

The Applicant shall, in perpetuity, have the right to:

• have free and unfettered ownership and control of their own assets and income and be solely liable for their obligations;

PPA had been aware of the proposed 2012 constitution, but did not support its content, insofar as it purported to exclude PPA as an affiliate member of CSA, while simultaneously permitting CSA to exercise control over PPA and its members.

Just my 2 cents..

If it was just that easy. We are talking International competition, not only grass roots level. Your home town hero Nolan Hoffman has not qualified for automatic entry to the Olympics yet. And he is one of only two riders in the current World Championship squad. There is just not funding enough to give more riders the same opportunities. Who do you think will fit that bill? I can recall at least five other riders from Paarl that has similar abilities to Nolan, came through the structures, but will never be able to fulfill their dreams because of financial constraints.

To give you an idea: