Gauteng Downhill race 23 February

Racestrong

The Gauteng Downhill Mountain Bike Series Unofficial first race will be taking place on Sunday 23 February at the infamous Helderkruin DH track.

The track will have B-lines for less experienced riders and/or short travel bikes that will be rideable on any bike and every 'enduro'-like technically.

Free practice on Saturday, however be aware that track prep might be taking place.

Practice will begin at 8am with 2 race runs at 12:30 and 13:30 respectively. COMBINED race runs result to count for the overall.

R200 gets you uplifts for the day aswell as race entry.

Beginner Class: Riders riding for <1year

Sport Class: Riders riding for 1year and longer but excludes National ranked racers.

Pro Class: All riders who have raced a National/cup in the last year (2013 and juniors and subvets included)

Anyone who can help we need the following:

1 or 2 x bakkie/4x4 which can tow an uplift trailer (trailer to be rented)

1 or 2 shuttle drivers depending on vehicle numbers.

3x volunteers to run the timing system.

Anybody wanting or in the position to provide prizes.

Anybody have access to sandbags, logs and wooden pallets for some track upgrades?

Any vendors wanting to sell drinks and food please get hold of myself Ryan Frerichs or David Hogan.

See you all there

Edited by Racestrong

I edited the post. Due to lots of consideration we have decided to have a full medics team with 2 paramedics, a medics station and an ambulance on call in the area for increased safety and peace of mind. Unfortunately we have had to raise the entry fee to R200. Im sure everyone agrees its a small price to ensure youre looked after.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone.

Thanks to everyone for a great race turnout at our first Gauteng DH race of the year! We where happy with how it went and especially grateful that the medics were not used once

Great to see team Malalane coming to support always good to see the commitment.

Thanks to everyone involved for helping out, time keeping Danielle Da Silva and Shannon Vd Walt and to Maree Enslin for helping too, and of course our faithful starter James Morland himself. Thanks toMarnus Swanepoel and Joe Du Toit for the bakkies to use as shuttles aswell as the guys who helped build and prep the track on saturday

Thank to KITTED clothing for the caps that were donated for the winner of each class.

Also big thanks to Monster Energy for donating some drinks prizes aswell as The Water Shed for supplying ice cold bottled water to hydrate everyone in the summer heat, it was well used!

We hope to see more people getting involved, great to see new faces lets try keep the numbers coming for the following races.

The next race will be at Thaba Trails new track at the entrance on 29 March. It will be piggy backing on the XCO running on the same day which will be great for exposure and will be a crowd attraction.

Please feel free to leave any comments below for any other race suggestions, amd anything you guys might want different for the next race.

Photos will be posted from the days action, but there are many more on the facebook page. Mountain Bikers do it downhill

Results were as follows:

Elites:

1) Tiaan Odendaal

2) Ryan Frerichs

3) David Hogan

Open:

1) Marnus Swanepoel

2) Callum Orbell

3) Donald Turton

Sports:

1) Casey Merick

2) Michane Viljoen

3) Jordan Fritz

Kathryn Fourie won a KITTED cap for her efforts travelling all the way from KZN to race.

Frerichs and Hogan.

Was a great turnout with the nicest group of people I've met in a long time.

Sadly I blew the rear wheel and left leg on the first practice run and literally limped home and to the ER later that day. Not a good christening for the new bike at all.

The guys coming down though looked proper fast.