Tirreno-Adriatico 12-18 March 2014

Cav'

68km remaining from 166km

Giant-Shimano, Lotto-Belisol and Omega Pharma-QuickStep have reached a working agreement in the main peloton, and they each have a rider sitting on the front of the peloton. For the moment, the gap is stable at 4:10.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

59km remaining from 166km

The five escapees are continuing to collaborate well and have stretched their lead back out to 4:30. Alex Dowsett, in particular, is pedalling very smoothly indeed as they zip through Perignano.

There are serene blue skies overhead in Tuscany this afternoon, with temperatures approaching 20 degrees Celsius. Tirreno-Adriatico is often a race blighted by poor weather, but the prognosis appears to be good for the rest of the week, even as the peloton heads into the mountains in Abruzzo.

Thibaut Pinot (FDJ.fr) started the stage with his left knee heavily strapped, although the full extent of his injury is not quite clear. The Frenchman came through yesterday's team time trial untroubled, but admitted that his knee has been causing him problems when he gets out of the saddle en danseuse.

47km remaining from 166km

The break had 4 minutes as they entered the final 50 kilometres, which seems to have been the signal for the sprinters' teams to pick up the pace another notch or two. The gap is now 3:45.

14:17:02 CET

Giant-Shimano lead the bunch through the finish line for the first time, 3:21 down on the break. A small group of BMC riders move up along the side of the peloton, trying to keep Cadel Evans in position.

Canola is trying to inject some life into the break's efforts, but their advantage is continuing to tumble steadily. The Giant/Lotto/QuickStep sprinters' security council has now pegged the gap back to three minutes.

At the rear of the peloton, meanwhile, Filippo Pozzato (Lampre-Merida) drops back to his team car. The Italian has been solid but decidedly unspectacular thus far in 2014, but he will be aiming to shine from Milan-San Remo onwards.

Alex Dowsett claimed the three bonus seconds at the first intermediate sprint with 50km to go, and he jumps away from the break in a bid to add to his tally at the second sprint.

Dowsett picks up the bonus seconds in Uliveto Terme and rather than wait for his companions, the Englishman decides to put his head down and keep going.

It's not always easy to judge accurately from intermittent glances at the front of the peloton, but it seems as though Giant-Shimano are doing most of the legwork in chasing the break for now, but Lotto and QuickStep are keeping a close eye on proceedings.

Current situation

Break

Alex Dowsett

Movistar Team

Chasers

at 0:16

Daniel Teklehaymanot

MTN - Qhubeka

Marco Canola

Bardiani-CSF

Davide Malacarne

Team Europcar

Peloton

at 2:30

Omega Pharma-QuickStep's marshalling of the chase is beginning to yield significant dividends. Dowsett's lead is down to 1:11, while the three chasers - Teklehaymanot, Canola and Malacarne - are all but sitting up, resigned to their fate.