Frame vs components

cadenceblur

Hi guys

Need your input....

My son has outgrown his bicycle. I don't have the cash to get him anything "high spec" at present but also want to get him something decent for longevity.

I was thinking of getting a frame and transferring his components with the intention of upgrading them over time OR should I rather get a bike with good components and not worry about the frame for now.

Tiagra will suffice, 105 will obviously be a bonus.

Looking at a spend of R4000/4500 which I know isn't much.

I've found a carbon frame in his size as well as a bike with good components for about the same price...

Difficult problem.

If you had started with campy a component transfer to progressively better frames would be the thing to do.

However, in the last ten years there has been a parts "revolution" in shimano and SRAM (And campy) so much of the components will be "last season". (Campy wears in, shimano wears out)

But as your son is a roadie and growing the other option is to see how much you can sell his bike complete to raise seed capital for another one. (This allows another boy to start cycling). But if you cannot do that then buy a good frame and move the components. Donate the old frame to a charity (your LBS can help here). this will open up space in your bike shed.

The other problem is that the wheel set will also need upgrading eventually. Also his age will determine what his cluster restrictions are. No use buying him a 11 speed bike if he can only ride the 27-14 range.......

What components do you have now? I would look at buying a carbon blank frame and transfering parts. Upgrade parts as time goes on.

Thanks, his bike is quite old, don't think I'll get much for it, hence the option to use components for now.

His Wheelset will suffice for now, Shimano RS

This is the frame I'm looking at

http://www.thehubsa....00-carbon-fame/

A 54cm is a rather big frame. Your son should be over 170cm tall at least for that frame. No use buying a medium adult frame if your son is still having to grow into it. A too big frame is as uncomfortable as too small frame. You can get away with about 2-3cm on frame size either way by using shorter stems and so forth. Remember on a classic frame the seat post is extended by about a fist width, on a sloped or compact frame that will be at least two fist widths. The handle bars of a road bike should be between level with the saddle and up to 15cm below the saddle NEVER above the saddle. (this is determined by the cyclists flexibility)

happy shopping

A 54cm is a rather big frame. Your son should be over 170cm tall at least for that frame. No use buying a medium adult frame if your son is still having to grow into it. A too big frame is as uncomfortable as too small frame. You can get away with about 2-3cm on frame size either way by using shorter stems and so forth. Remember on a classic frame the seat post is extended by about a fist width, on a sloped or compact frame that will be at least two fist widths. The handle bars of a road bike should be between level with the saddle and up to 15cm below the saddle NEVER above the saddle. (this is determined by the cyclists flexibility)

happy shopping

He is 171cm tall, so frame size is correct

What I wluld do is get frame first. Components u can buy bit by bit and build bike up once u have full groupset. Its probably the best way to do it. Good luck.

I am 171cm and can ride a 53 to 56. The later if it is old school frame. Depends upon inside leg measurement and you can normally change stem length and/or angle height.

Personally I wouldn't buy cheaper carbon frame second hand but would rather look for a better quality aluminium frame. But then I don't know enough about carbon frames.

A 3-4 year old 105 or Campy equivalent is a better bet than some modern higher grade group sets as they don't wear out as fast. I still ride 15 year old Chorus which parts work perfectly and still look good.

Get your son to keep the group set clean. High grade chain lube is worth the price when factored into price of clusters, chain rings and chain.

My son is turning 13 this year. I bought new 105 parts and fitted to a good secondhand frame. As he grows I will just change the frame. As much as I love Campy, Shimano is easier and cheaper to replace if need be. It makes it easier also if restrictions are needed for gears. I went for a 12-25 ratio and left the front deraileur off so no need to restrict to a junior cassette.

I have a Raleigh RC7000 alum frame with Carbon rear stays and full carbon fork in mint condition medium size 51cm. I am 1.71m and a 54 is to big for me. You can have frame with carbon saddle post, handle bars, ritchey carbon seat post, ultegra BB and ultegra front derailer, neat water bottle holders and saddle all in very good condition for R 1600.00. The RC7000 frame can be very close to the RC3000 carbon frame weight wise, for a additional R 2300.00 I will add a Easton Vista wheel set also in very good condition.

I have a Raleigh RC7000 alum frame with Carbon rear stays and full carbon fork in mint condition medium size 51cm. I am 1.71m and a 54 is to big for me. You can have frame with carbon saddle post, handle bars, ritchey carbon seat post, ultegra BB and ultegra front derailer, neat water bottle holders and saddle all in very good condition for R 1600.00. The RC7000 frame can be very close to the RC3000 carbon frame weight wise, for a additional R 2300.00 I will add a Easton Vista wheel set also in very good condition.

Mum, that's an option. What's the age of your frame?. My buddy has a 54cm frame, I'll put on the bike and have another look. Can you send me some pics though?