Dusi2C

ScottCM

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any idea when we wil receive more info on the event?

Has the distances been confirmed because on the web site under Race Details / The Race it states 75 and 68 kms, but under Race Details / The Route it states 63 and 58 kms?

Last year when we started they said it would be 75km on Day 1 with 500m of climbing and 68km with 300m of climbing on day 2.

In reality it was 63km with 980m on day one and 58km on Day two.

Newsletters coming in

http://cdn.entelectonline.co.za/em-368-cmsimages/newdusi2c.png

BSi Steel dusi2c 2015

28 May 2015

Hi all BSi dusi2c riders

BSi dusi2c has approached us at speed! We are so looking forward to the 3rd dusi2c and hosting you in the magnificent Dusi Valley. This newsletter contains important information you would need to know for the 2015 event. You will receive a few more as we get closer to the 19th of June.

THE ROUTE

Once again our route partners Durban Green Corridor (DGC) will be working with us to ensure the trails are fast, flowing, clear, fun and safe for all riders. Durban Green Corridor has a staff team of local people from within the valley who are employed to develop and maintain mountain biking trails in parts of the uMngeni Valley.

DGC is a local economic development initiative of eThekwini Municipality managed by DUCT (Duzi uMgeni Conservation Trust) which aims to create opportunities for those living within the Umgeni River Valley through job creation, skills development, community upliftment and youth development. In addition to the trails, DGC has also turned many previously inaccessible areas of natural beauty into places of adventure and leisure for all to benefit. Local communities are involved in the development, design and operations of these areas to ensure they benefit the communities and also respect tradition and culture. The sites and trails now attract mountain bikers and other adventure and eco-tourists from all over the world. They also offer youth programs for local youth in the areas of sports development (with a big emphasis on mountain biking), environmental education and culture.

By working with dusi2c not only are DGC able to bring more people along to experience and enjoy the trails, but it also provides a chance to showcase the difference they are making to the communities and a chance to celebrate this wonderful event with them in their valley.

Visit www.durbangreencorridor.co.za for more information.

GPS NAVIGATION

After the success of GPS navigation in the last two dusi2c events, joBerg2c and sani2c we are sticking to it! Also many areas through which we will be riding are heavily populated and from experience we have leant that children love removing or worse, moving markers. Navigation via GPS is very accurate and your unit will alarm you as soon as you are off the race route. It is also very easy to find your way back onto the route. Not only this, but navigating your way through a route gives one a whole new sense of achievement which is not  experience with the old traditional method of merely following markers.

It is mandatory that each team has at least 1 GPS unit to share. It is compulsory to use a GPS as the route is not marked.

GPS route files will be emailed to all riders on 15 June 2015. Don’t stress you will receive it in ample time with all the instructions.

MASSAGES

Those of you who would like to pamper yourself after a long day in the saddle you can pre-book to secure a massage. Pre-bookings will close on Wednesday the 17th June. The earlier you book the better your chances will be to secure your preferred time slot. Email: dusi2cmassages@gmail.com.

SUBSTITUTIONS

Substitutions will close on Monday 8th June 2015 to allow for seeding to take place. Any further substitutions can be done at registration for R200.

CAR SHUTTLES

We still have many spots available for car shuttle. Please visit our website to book your car into the shuttle service run by Maritzburg College.

DIRECTIONS

For directions to registration please visit our website. Registration will be from 12h00 to 18h00 on Friday the 19th at Natal Canoe Club.

START TIMES AND PRIZE GIVING

The first batch will begin their journey to the sea at 8am. Please refer to the website for the batch times. Day 2 will begin at 7am.

Prize giving will be held at 11H00 on the day of your finish at Blue Lagoon.

TREAD BUFFALO CATEGORY

The TREAD Buffalo Category recently celebrated its first year in the South African mountain bike community. It’s a uniquely South African initiative that’s helped bigger mountain bikers unleash their competitive spirit. Such has been the growth of this racing weight division that the folks at TREAD have added a proper online registration that gives each rider weighing 90kg or more a unique TREAD Buffalo ID. By registering, you will also automatically be incorporated in the national TREAD Buffalo rankings, which are managed by SA Seeding.

So if you have entered the BSI Steel dusi2C and weigh 90kg or more, head to http://members.treadbuffalo.co.za/Home/Logon?ReturnUrl=%2f and register as a member of the herd. There will be a TREAD Buffalo column on the race results so you can quickly see how you measured up against the other TREAD Buffaloes.

The BSi Steel dusi2C event is one of the prestigious events that make up the 2015 TREAD Buffalo Racing Series. Top points scorers at the end of the year will be awarded with prizes and be profiled in TREAD magazine.

SIGNAL

Comms are scarce down in the valley and there will be no wifi.

CLOTHING

At registration there will be previous years clothing for sale. Note we will not have a card machine so all sales will be for cash.

HEALTH AND SAFTEY

Please remember to pack your own supply of headache tabs, anti-inflammatories, anti-nausea, and anti-diarrhoeal and any other that your mother prescribes. I don’t think my vetinary room in the dairy will be sufficient and although we have an expert medical crew they are not there to be a pharmacy but attend to emergency cases. It is also strongly advised that you add a space blanket to your riding pack. ?A small medical kit is a good idea to carry with you.

Please I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency) your phone and save this number to your phone now as BCI dusi2c emergency contact Roger Mann: +27 (0)83 634 4367.

Then PLEASE download the mySOS mobile app for emergencies – mySOS is being used by most events as it has really superb functionality. This emergency app is also great to have for all your normal rides and day to day activities. Please download the free mySOS app onto your smartphone before the event. If you come into an emergency you can use this app to contact the medical team immediately. For more information visit our website.

BICYCLE HEALTH

Now that I have covered your health the next is your bikes health. Please make sure you have ticked this next list before you make your way to the Berg:

1. Make sure you run tubeless tyres with a decent UST side wall

2. Make sure your sealant is fresh – sealant dries up after around 3 months – remember too if you use/used a CO2  “bomb’’ to inflate your tyre it will make your sealant ineffective so it will need to replaced

3. Bring quick chain links suited to your chain – if you have changed from a 9 speed to 10 speed or 11 speed chain you will need the unique quick chain link /pins to suit that chain. One size does not fit all

4. Make sure you carry a derailleur hangar unique to your bike – this is very NB as our shops may not have your specific type

5. Check that your disc brakes are not chaffing – it is hard enough as it is without having to ride with more resistance

6. Mark your saddle height carefully if you are flying with your bike – make sure you keep your set up exactly the same as you have been riding

7. Check your shock and fork pressure – flights can alter this pressure

8. Take the usual spares with you on your ride – we will have mechanics at water point 2 each day but they can only do so much – all our bike shops will be stocked but don’t rely on them if you have an unusual bike.

CSA – Cycling South Africa licensing for all events
You will need a CSA license to ride in all stage races this year. This license needs to be purchased from CSA which costs R75 for the year. If you don’t have a license you will need to pay CSA R35 per day for a temporary license which will be payable at registration. It is worth your while to get the license and you won’t have to worry about it again for all rides that you may do in the year. CSA Membership cards are emailed to all riders as soon as the process is complete. To avoid registration delays we encourage all riders to print their CSA membership card and bring it with them to registration in Pietermaritzburg. To purchase the R75 Membership license you do not need to belong to a club.  Only Domestic Racing Licenses require club membership. If you would like to see where your money is going and to become a member, visit www.cyclingsa.com. This will not apply to overseas entrants!

CHARGING

Charging stations will be available at Mfula Store. Please bring your own charger cables.

SOCIAL MEDIA

Twitter. Follow @farmer_glen for daily updates on developments or dusi2c @ https://twitter.com/dusi2c

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/dusi2c

Lastly it can get chilly so don’t forget to pack a warm beannie!

Please visit our website for all the information you will need and if you still can’t find it then contact Judy or Sandra in the race office.

Have an awesome weekend filled with lots of riding!

Farmer Glen and the dusi2c Team

083 780 1832 Glen

082 894 7336 Mandy

072 946 2452 Tamika

083 533 4976 Judy

@ https://twitter.com/dusi2c
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/dusi2c

http://cdn.entelectonline.co.za/em-332-cmsimages/dusi2clogo.png

We have two team entries available for the Dusi2C if anyone is keen let me know 

• 2 weeks later...

Race reports guys?

Here's mine:

As this was my second time, i feel the organisation was a lot better. The kit was for more superior than last year.

After taking 3H20min to get to the 1st water point on day one, my partner decided to throw in the towel. So from there on i became a solo rider. After last years falls i changed my pedals to flats and wow what a difference it made to my confidence which lead to much more aggressive riding and i totally loved my bike again.

As a whole i must say i think this has been Farmer and Co's best Dusi2C yet.

This was my first time. It is a great race and I really enjoyed it. The riding was fantastic and the general atmosphere is exactly what you want from a race like this. Not the biggest fan of the whole GPS system. There are still boards and tags all over the route, so I don't buy the whole "Environmentally Friendly" motivation, in my opinion it is just an incentive for one of the sponsors.

Regarding the kit, now I’ve got something to wear if I ever decide to go to a concert where ‘Die Antwoord’ is playing…

Great fun, will be back next year.

Absolutely awesome race, this was my 3rd.

The atmosphere and comradeship of everyone is brilliant.

Really enjoyed my second Dusi2c. Bought some land quite comprehensively on the first day, providing great entertainment for my partner and the riders following me, but otherwise a great weekend. The change in sundowner venue was brilliant too.

Really enjoyed my second Dusi2c. Bought some land quite comprehensively on the first day, providing great entertainment for my partner and the riders following me, but otherwise a great weekend. The change in sundowner venue was brilliant too.

A whole article on thehub and the best race report you can give is 3 lines....

great race. some of the best single track I've experienced in a race. enjoyed the technical parts. (the hills not as much fun). Great atmosphere at the camp. Well done to Farmer Glen

My first Dusi2C and really enjoyed it. Some proper technical stuff and a couple of decent climbs. Well done to all involved in organising the event.

@Monark, I expected more river crossings. The ones that we had wasn't too bad except for the last one on day 1 and the first on day 2 where you had to walk through the river... bbbrrrrrr... and I hate wet shoes!!

Archived