3 x 10 to 2 x 10

Motard660

I am looking into changing my bike that is currently a 3 x 10 to 2 x 10.

The Bike that I want to change is an Anthem X1 2011 model and is equipped with Shimano Deore XT Dyna-Sys (got from the web) Shifters and Shimano Deore XT front derailer.

Am i correct when saying that I don't need to change anything at the back?

From what I understand I will only need to change the crank and rings and that the XT shifter are compatible by one or other switch located somewhere on the shifter?

What would you recommend I change to convert?

I am looking into changing my bike that is currently a 3 x 10 to 2 x 10.

The Bike that I want to change is an Anthem X1 2011 model and is equipped with Shimano Deore XT Dyna-Sys (got from the web) Shifters and Shimano Deore XT front derailer.

Am i correct when saying that I don't need to change anything at the back?

From what I understand I will only need to change the crank and rings and that the XT shifter are compatible by one or other switch located somewhere on the shifter?

What would you recommend I change to convert?

You don't need to change the crank, just adapt it with other chainrings, depending what your cassette is.

ideally to get the spacing right you want a 2 ring crank, keep you shifter it will work fine.

I went from a 3x9 on my 26 to a 2x10 when I got my 29er. Very happy with the decision. Just make sure you have the correct gear ratios that suite you.

ideally to get the spacing right you want a 2 ring crank, keep you shifter it will work fine.

But a 3x10 will work with spacers to convert to 2x10?

Stupid question maybe but why would you want to change from a 3x10 to a 2x10?

Weight saving is maybe 200g and personally I would rather have the wider selection of gears, with 2x10 you are going to loose out on ratio's ?

You don't need to change the crank, just adapt it with other chainrings, depending what your cassette is.

My Cassette at the back is 11/36 10 Speed.

So what I understand I can still use my Crank, Front Derailer and Shifter and basically just need to to get the desired rings that I want to use in the front. Spacers must just be used to convert my existing crank?

I changed my Ghost Lector from a 3x10 to a 2x10. Best conversion ever. I spend less time changing gears and feel much more comfortable with the ratios. I also run a full XT set up. I changed the cranks (didn't know you could do it by just adapting the chain rings). XT shifters have a small screw under the shifter which makes it easy to convert to 2x10. I did have to change the front derailleur as well though - which was a pain in the ass! Go for it - just do it!

When I needed to replace my drive train i just left off the bug blade and fitted a 24T on the small blade and a 36T on the middle blade and adjusted the front mech.

Works perfectly and almost due for replacement. However we had to find the correct width 36T to use without spacers.

Running Sram X9 levers and rear cassette and mech, XT FD and Truvative chainrings. No changes needed except the limit skew adjustment.

Running Sram X9 levers and rear cassette and mech, XT FD and Truvative chainrings. No changes needed except the limit skew adjustment.

And the height of the FD too ? No ?

And the height of the FD too ? No ?

Depends on the size you are going to on the new big blade (old middle blade). 34 to 36 is not such a big jump. Depends what it was and what it is now.

So what I understand I can still use my Crank, Front Derailer and Shifter and basically just need to to get the desired rings that I want to use in the front. Spacers must just be used to convert my existing crank?

Yes