Knysna trails and rides in April

sawystertrance

Thanks. Looks good. 500 m vertical? Phew but doable.

Theres one particular section where for about 4km you are just going up and up. Never seems to end.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha yes the Homtini climb can take anywhere from 20min - 1hr I suppose, but the view and trail down makes up for it.

Garden Route trail park is one hell of an amazing experience you will never forget. It's like an ongoing roller coaster mtb ride that will put a smile on your face for the rest of the year. All the routes are non technical (if u go slow), but u can run out of talent as u pick up the speed and get comfortable. Rob is also busy with a pump track right next to his house where u park and ride up to the marked trails. Good idea to give him a ring before u go to make sure if the trails are open and ready for action.

Harkerville red route is getting quite a bit bumpy on the first stretch of single track, very rooty... but if u dont mind a full body workout it's always a stunner to go and ride.

Phantom pass's trail is "closed" but still accessible if you know where to enter, go with local riders. It is getting pretty damn rough down there now though, rain and erosion making it a bit of a bumpy ride haha.

Petrus se brandt is always a winner, u can cycle from town, to make a nice big circle ride, but if you're not keen on a 50km odd loop, then u need someone to drop u off at diepwalle forest station for a permit and pick u up at garden or eden on the n2.

Then there are some hidden trails that only the locals and a few others know about, go to the local bike shops and ask more about them, or when people go out for a ride, they might just be nice and take u on them.

And Kom se Pad 50km loop is always a stunner of a ride, do it at night, full moon if u wish... beautiful magical forest we got here.

Neil, thanks for your input. I have contacted Knysna Cycle works and am going to talk to them about trails and the possibility of a group ride and/or a lift to/from the Diepwalle forest station. Any recommendations of other shops?

hakerville is nice but boring, go ride on Robs farm it truly awesome and one of the best rides you will ever have

I wouldn't call it boring.

It's often selected as most people's favourite trail.

I don't think it's fair to compare it to the trail park, as they are not even supposed to be the same ride.

I'm in the area next week, looking forward to experiencing both.

I wouldn't call it boring.

It's often selected as most people's favourite trail.

I don't think it's fair to compare it to the trail park, as they are not even supposed to be the same ride.

I'm in the area next week, looking forward to experiencing both.

If you ride this once every few years it might be awesome, im from George and we ride so many other nice spots aswell that why i said boring but yes like you said, still an amazing ride, and Robs farm is in a class of its own

I'm going up there tomorrow. seems most of the activities in the area are more plett way but i chose knysna so i could ride harkerville. my mum is over visiting which is a shame coz id like to go to the bike park too...

Leona,

I arrive there on the 21st and intend to go on various rides - perhaps one per day - so if you're still in the area and want some company on a ride, PM me and we could maybe arrange a ride. Alternatively, like me, you could try to arrange something via Knysna Cycle Works

Late notice I know, but are there any local trails in knysna that's a bit gravity orientated, or is harkeville my only option? Didn't plan on doing any riding this weekend but just might be able to get a very early ride in tomorrow morning.

Late notice I know, but are there any local trails in knysna that's a bit gravity orientated, or is harkeville my only option? Didn't plan on doing any riding this weekend but just might be able to get a very early ride in tomorrow morning.

gravity in knysna.... NOPE

George - YES !!

gardenroutetrialpark is your best bet thats closes to you, rollers, berms and some pedally sections,

George is rocky , rooty, rough, off camber, drops , switchbacks - incl offcamber ones..... some more roots.... love it!!

if you can , come for a ride. inbox me and ill give you my num.

Okay, thanks deviate.. Raincheck then. Looks like harkeville 4 me. I'm with wife and kids and don't want to leave them alone for too long so george will be a bit too far for me. Wouldve loved to try that trail park out for size! Looks like great fun.

i dont know if its Legal, but i mistakenly road end piece of the green/red route in reverse. probably did about 2km into it and then turned around (cz i thought it was that petrus se pad trail, and wouldnt have a lift back).

Maybe the locals can comment, riding the green route in reverse looked good for what it was worth. dont know what happens after the end 2km, but i encountered flowy sections with rooty turns.. those dry roots in are simply lekker to do at speed, switchbacks and steps..

i then turned around and did the blue root in 45mins.

must say the harkeville forest is a nice place to ride, the cover was excellent. would've done the red route if there was no time constraints.