Scott Spark issues

Schoemie

I've mentioned this before in another thread. Many people are stating that the issues with the Sparks are lack of maintenance.

My question is, surely the average Spark owner will do the same amount of maintenance as the average owner of any other brand. Why then, don't the other brands crack with the same frequency?

Having said that, it seems as if the issue has been resolved as I haven't heard of any breakages on the recent models.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 2013 Scott Spark that I have done in excess of 15,000km on. I have done numerous stage races on it, plus many 200km+ events without any failure whatsoever. It's my long distance weapon and my toy for Giba and Karkloof. The only intrinsic thing that I have replaced (by choice) was the DT Swiss rear shock - this is not necessary on the newer models as Fox is standard issue. I have never touched the swingarm bearings.

My next bike? The same.

My rear stay was replaced for free under warranty. If I remember they gave me a loan stay as it was just before going yo Meerendal an then sent a new one to LBS the following week.

I have a 2013 Scott Spark that I have done in excess of 15,000km on. I have done numerous stage races on it, plus many 200km+ events without any failure whatsoever. It's my long distance weapon and my toy for Giba and Karkloof. The only intrinsic thing that I have replaced (by choice) was the DT Swiss rear shock - this is not necessary on the newer models as Fox is standard issue. I have never touched the swingarm bearings.

My next bike? The same.

Slightly off topic.... Out of interest sake, as I might be replacing my rear shock soon what did you replace the DT Swiss rear shock with?  And do you still have the twinloc functionality?

Slightly off topic.... Out of interest sake, as I might be replacing my rear shock soon what did you replace the DT Swiss rear shock with?  And do you still have the twinloc functionality?

You will be able to run Fox Nude, that is whats on the new models

Hi

I replaced my DT Swiss rear shock last year with a FOX CTD 2015 Remote.  Was able to keep the twinlock function - only problem is fitting a large bottle below the shock now given the Fox remote "switch" being in the way. 

Hi

I replaced my DT Swiss rear shock last year with a FOX CTD 2015 Remote.  Was able to keep the twinlock function - only problem is fitting a large bottle below the shock now given the Fox remote "switch" being in the way. 

ok great, thanks for the feedback Sharkie 2 and Ville Rider

• 1 month later...

my rear chain stay just cracked over the weekend on my 2013 model spark.

Question time to those who have gone through this process, do scott swap it out with the part from the same model? 3 years old? E.G, I have heard guys receiving a red stay for their green bike etc...

Hi there,

I replaced it with the Fox CTD (Kashima coated).

Chucked the twinlock lever away and haven't looked back since.

my rear chain stay just cracked over the weekend on my 2013 model spark.

Question time to those who have gone through this process, do scott swap it out with the part from the same model? 3 years old? E.G, I have heard guys receiving a red stay for their green bike etc...

Depends what they have in stock - make sure they get photos of the old one and see what happens - mismatched colours are better than no riding.

PS - they did an exact match on mine.

Depends what they have in stock - make sure they get photos of the old one and see what happens - mismatched colours are better than no riding.

PS - they did an exact match on mine.

thanks V12, lets hope the process doesn't take its time, missing a race this weekend and W2W is 3 weeks away... 

thanks V12, lets hope the process doesn't take its time, missing a race this weekend and W2W is 3 weeks away... 

Mine took about a week - even through my LBS - a non Scott store.

Mine took about a week - even through my LBS - a non Scott store.

Same here, sent the request on the Tuesday by the store was approved on the Thursday by Scott, chain stay delivered and fitted to bike by following Monday  :thumbup:

Archived