Scott Spark issues

Schoemie

Ok so the chain stay has cracked/broken at the attachment point of the derailier hanger (Spark 920, 2013) where the machine screws attach the hanger to the chainstay. Bridgecycles has refused to replace under warrantee. So what now? How much does this cost to replace? I also note that the new spark has a slightly different design at the derailer hanger so Scott must have had some reason to do this I.e multiple failures. Warrantee should be for five years. Not cool.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so the chain stay has cracked/broken at the attachment point of the derailier hanger (Spark 920, 2013) where the machine screws attach the hanger to the chainstay. Bridgecycles has refused to replace under warrantee. So what now? How much does this cost to replace? I also note that the new spark has a slightly different design at the derailer hanger so Scott must have had some reason to do this I.e multiple failures. Warrantee should be for five years. Not cool.

Get a 2nd opinion on that warranty replacement.

Well a LBS had one of their professional mechs working at the Epic...

The bikes with the most problems where all Scott Sparks.

Pivots, chainstay cracks, cracks around the bb area even.

This was to such an extent that a Scott fan friend who desperately wanted a Spark has since decided to change brand with all the bad press Sparks get - esp the 29ers...

my 2c but I wouldn't touch them - I think if you have one that's had no issues you are pretty lucky and they are great while they work.

Been riding a Spark 900 Premium for a year. Love it. LBS thought my rear stay was cracked in Jan. Scott said it was a chop in the Lacquer, not a crack. Replaced the rear stay anyway. Was all done in a week before Meerendal race.

Any other warranty issues have been replaced immediately. Ratchet clip broke on suspension lock out.

I've done about a thousand kms on my Spark 910 and haven't had any issues whatsoever. I wash it after every 2 to 3 rides and then lube it up by spraying some WD40 on the pivot points and that's it. And I weigh a hefty 95 kgs.

I don't get the squeaks that I've seen people complain about, so it might be the lube that I spray on after every wash. They are only plastic bushings, so I'm sure they will need a little bit more attention compared to other brands like the Santa Cruz with it's grease nipples. But that's fine with me, I like working on my bike and making sure it's in tip top condition.

I'm sorry to hear that some people have had issues with their bikes because Scott has a very good brand according to me. Even their clothing stuff is very nice, particularly like the cycling shorts, cant remember the model now...

I also came accross a very good guy at Scott SA when I was trying to get pricing on a Carbon rear triangle as an upgrade from my alu one. His name is Gareth Lee, might be a good guy to contact for those people having issues with their bikes, he was very helpful. Gareth.Lee@scott-sports.co.za

Just my 2 cents worth.

I believe a lot of these issues with the bikes come down to bike maintenance....this will not be taken well but it is apparent that the lower spec Sparks give more issues than the 910 and premium ones...reason for this is that the owners of the higher specced bikes have their bikes serviced more regularly especially the pivots, comes down to how affordability. You can purchase a dual suspension but can you really afford to maintain it?

I've done about a thousand kms on my Spark 910 and haven't had any issues whatsoever. I wash it after every 2 to 3 rides and then lube it up by spraying some WD40 on the pivot points and that's it. And I weigh a hefty 95 kgs.

Don't ever do that - WD-40® Multi-Use Product protects metal from rust and corrosion, penetrates stuck parts, displaces moisture and lubricates almost anything. It even removes grease, grime and more from most surfaces.

If this is the Level of knowledge around maintenance then I'm not surprised popular brands break.

Nothing can survive ham-fisted Ness

I don't get the squeaks that I've seen people complain about, so it might be the lube that I spray on after every wash. They are only plastic bushings, so I'm sure they will need a little bit more attention compared to other brands like the Santa Cruz with it's grease nipples. But that's fine with me, I like working on my bike and making sure it's in tip top condition.

I'm sorry to hear that some people have had issues with their bikes because Scott has a very good brand according to me. Even their clothing stuff is very nice, particularly like the cycling shorts, cant remember the model now...

I also came accross a very good guy at Scott SA when I was trying to get pricing on a Carbon rear triangle as an upgrade from my alu one. His name is Gareth Lee, might be a good guy to contact for those people having issues with their bikes, he was very helpful. Gareth.Lee@scott-sports.co.za

Just my 2 cents worth.

Gary does his work very well! Joggie is also on here so pm him directly if you have issues

Watch out for a reply from raptor-22 saying it is not bridge cycles issue it's yours   :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I believe a lot of these issues with the bikes come down to bike maintenance....this will not be taken well but it is apparent that the lower spec Sparks give more issues than the 910 and premium ones...reason for this is that the owners of the higher specced bikes have their bikes serviced more regularly especially the pivots, comes down to how affordability. You can purchase a dual suspension but can you really afford to maintain it?

I had two Ghosts that both broke at exactly the same spot on the chain stay (where the cable guide is welded on). Both frames were under a year and the second one (warranty replacement) lasted just a few months.

+1 on it coming down to Bike Maintenance.  No need to replace the pivot bearings every 3 months but have them checked every few months especially if you have had a very muddy ride.  This might be a bit more common on Scott Sparks but it happens with all dual suspension bikes.

The scott distributor would make the call on warranty or not to warranty.

I have had my Scott Spark for 3+ years and have not had any issues, but I get my LBS to check my pivot points every few months, and replace the bearings where necessary - on the last service they replaced the bearing in the pivot point directly above the BB with an Enduro bearing because apparently they are more durable (hearsay and IMO).

Bridge cycles have no authority over the warrantee claim - they have to send pictures to scott for assesment - search the hub and you will find people from scott locally's numbers to call - speak to them.

Wow - lot of information to digest. I would like to thank everyone who has give me advise and information and I certainly will follow up with Scott directly. Additionally, I will when I have time, take a photo of the damaged area for further comment. 

One question I still have, and this is assuming warrantee does not cover, what the cost of a replacement chainstay is. GTR1  indicates that he replaced his stay so I would be interested what he paid (I assume the 900 premium uses the same stay??)

Also, since the latest spark models have a changed design for the hanger, is the new chainstay compatible with older spark models?

Archived