29" hard tail or 29" dual suspension?

+ Ryperd +

I know this is a question which is asked over and over again, and there are posts all over the www re this. But this is MY question, relating to ME - so please bare with me. :whistling:

I am currently a healthy 105kg squashed into 1.87m, but aiming to bring the weight down to <95kg in due time. I ride a 29" hard tail mtb at the moment, and I enjoy it and I like my bike. But... I had a small operation to my bum area a few years ago, and when I am out on long rides, my bum gets sore and swollen. :eek:

Will a 29" dual suspension suit my bum better?

In a word, YES.

Why take a pounding to your sensitive area when you can soften the ride? Go duallie, no brainer.

Have you played around with different (better) bibs and saddles?

And is your setup optimal?

It's a rather expensive excersise upgrading to a soft bike just to find out its not really making a difference on the naught.

If you like riding your hardtail, try keeping it.

In a word, YES.

Why take a pounding to your sensitive area when you can soften the ride? Go duallie, no brainer.

Totally agree. And tubeless wheels if you haven't done so-allows you to run lower pressure which is also more comfy.

Totally agree. And tubeless wheels if you haven't done so-allows you to run lower pressure which is also more comfy.

Take your bike and yourself to a shop and get proper seat height. maybe take a buddy's softy for a spin. anatomic makes some great bibs you can try aswell. i ride hard tail and im seriously considering switching to soft tail

Thanks for the responses. I have tubeless, and run lower pressure. I have a Selle Italia saddle with the groove in the middle. Did a professional setup in Feb 2014.

I am planning to ride the Sani2C next year. Am doing the Karoo 2 Coast this year (which is made for a 29" hard tail :whistling: ). Dream is to ride the Joberg2C as well. I prefer marathon type terrain more than XC, but this could be because I am not yet competent nor fit enough to handle rough terrain. :blush:

So maybe the "idea" of owning a dual sus is the attraction, and now I want justification for buying one? But my bum still hurts. :blink: :wacko: :huh:

I tend to sit more on my soft tail than I do on my hard tail

I have to add that the hardtail is a single speed.

@ TheNewGuy - I had to chuckle at your signature line: "It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence!"

:D :D

In a word, YES.

Take your bike and yourself to a shop and get proper seat height. maybe take a buddy's softy for a spin. anatomic makes some great bibs you can try aswell. i ride hard tail and im seriously considering switching to soft tail

1. Duallie
  2. Softer tyre pressure
  3. Anatomic bib

Your backside will feel as if it's wrapped in cotton wool :thumbup: