2007 Epic - good buy?

Chris Hornby

This weekend I took a 29er hard tail for a ride, what an amazing machine. It was a low spec, entry level bike and it just flew over rough terrain. Didn't feel any different to a mate's 26" full-sus Merida, though his shock would be a little hard for my weight, so probably not 100% fair comparison.

Nonetheless, 29er is a revelation for me and puts all the arguments to rest in my mind, especially when I realised after researching that 650B wheels are actually more like 27" and not really 27.5 ... meaning they don't give you halfway between the two in terms of rolling ability.

Just need to test out the Anthem to decide between HT and soft ... And since I have found an Anthem X4 for R15'999 new ... with Giant's lifetime frame warranty ... starts feeling like a bit of a no-brainer ...

This weekend I took a 29er hard tail for a ride, what an amazing machine. It was a low spec, entry level bike and it just flew over rough terrain. Didn't feel any different to a mate's 26" full-sus Merida, though his shock would be a little hard for my weight, so probably not 100% fair comparison.

Nonetheless, 29er is a revelation for me and puts all the arguments to rest in my mind, especially when I realised after researching that 650B wheels are actually more like 27" and not really 27.5 ... meaning they don't give you halfway between the two in terms of rolling ability.

Just need to test out the Anthem to decide between HT and soft ... And since I have found an Anthem X4 for R15'999 new ... with Giant's lifetime frame warranty ... starts feeling like a bit of a no-brainer ...

Just remember with a DS you have more bearings to look after and occasionally replace as well as an additional shock that will up your maintenance costs...

i am a weekend rider and started mountain biking almost 3 years ago on an entry level 26" bike then i purchased a Specialized Epic 29er. I only ride weekends So i decided to sell the Epic and i bought my cousins friends Morewood Zula 26" and Oh man is it a great bike. I realized one thing, Any of the 3 wheel sizes will get you up and down the mountain with ease if its a decent bike. Only the pros need to worry about fast times and all that as they do it for a living not me :-) the rest is all just marketing nonsense. To be honest I prefer my Morewood Zula over the Epic 29er i had. Great you found a bike to your liking though. Happy riding

i am a weekend rider and started mountain biking almost 3 years ago on an entry level 26" bike then i purchased a Specialized Epic 29er. I only ride weekends So i decided to sell the Epic and i bought my cousins friends Morewood Zula 26" and Oh man is it a great bike. I realized one thing, Any of the 3 wheel sizes will get you up and down the mountain with ease if its a decent bike. Only the pros need to worry about fast times and all that as they do it for a living not me :-) the rest is all just marketing nonsense. To be honest I prefer my Morewood Zula over the Epic 29er i had. Great you found a bike to your liking though. Happy riding

Where did you find the Anthem x4?

Do they have L stock?

Thanks for the comments Roxy, I agree any wheels will get you there, but I must say that for the same weight and component spec, 29" certainly rolls a lot easier over the rocky rooty trails we mainly ride.

Bullet77 the man to speak to is Iain at Mountain Splendour - he is checking with Giant on availability for me today; http://www.mountainsplendour.co.za/ they run an awesome camping spot, and even have some of the world cup soccer tents for a luxury camping weekend. Anyway, with lower overheads he seems to be able to do insane prices.

"HI JACK ON"@ Chris, Were you at Mountain Splendour this past weekend? I loved there trails especially the green route up the mountain lots of fun. Iain has done a great job there, we will def be back. "HI JACK OFF"

@Lone Two

We actually stayed at Dragon Peaks over Easter, which also has some great single track cut into the hillside - check on Strava.

All good out in that valley though - beautiful part of the world, though slightly lacking in O2 on the hills ... :)

@Lone Two

We actually stayed at Dragon Peaks over Easter, which also has some great single track cut into the hillside - check on Strava.

All good out in that valley though - beautiful part of the world, though slightly lacking in O2 on the hills ... :)

Flippen awesome trails...not long, but hellava exciting. Did most of my riding there a couple of weeks ago.