Giro d' Italia 2014

'Dale

Big guy Timmer defied the laws of climbing by finishing 6th

post-12015-0-24275700-1400991278_thumb.jpg

He really did himself proud. I could taste the blood in his mouth when he fought back on with 1km to go. The last km must have hurt more than thousands of kilometers of training. Respect.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another day in the mountains before the third and final rest day, with our second summit finish in as many days. The riders are already on the start line this morning with the official roll out in roughly 10 minutes. Race leader Rigoberto Uran is at the front of the peloton with the rest of the competition jersey leaders close by. It's another huge test for Uran, especially after he lost time yesterday.

Here's how the GC currently stands, with Uran losing five seconds to Evans on stage 14. He lost more time to Quintana and Pozzovivo with Majka and Kelderman closing in. It' really becoming an interesting Giro with some of the strongest riders well aware that they need to attack Uran and his team at every opportunity.

1 Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 57:52:51

2 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:32

3 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:01:35

4 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:02:11

5 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:02:33

6 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team 0:03:04

7 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:03:16

8 Wout Poels (Ned) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:04:01

9 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar 0:05:07

10 Robert Kiserlovski (Cro) Trek Factory Racing 0:05:13

The race has gone through the neutralized zone this morning with the peloton together. Omega will decide on who goes in the break again today, just like they did yesterday.

Another rider to watch today is Rolland. He's clearly strong at the moment and went on the attack yesterday with Hesjedal . The peloton won't let him go in an early break, he won't even try, of course. However he could try and attack early on the climb or he has the option of sitting in and trying to follow moves, a slight departure from how he's raced the Giro so far. He's in the top ten now and with every climb he moves further up the GC. He'll need to balance overall ambitions with a hunger to win a stage

Rolland, sure has some form coming into the Giro this year.

wonder what he's role at le'tour will be?

post-12015-0-26943700-1400989185_thumb.jpg

Here's how the GC currently stands, with Uran losing five seconds to Evans on stage 14. He lost more time to Quintana and Pozzovivo with Majka and Kelderman closing in. It' really becoming an interesting Giro with some of the strongest riders well aware that they need to attack Uran and his team at every opportunity.

1 Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 57:52:51

2 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:32

3 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:01:35

4 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:02:11

5 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:02:33

6 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team 0:03:04

7 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:03:16

8 Wout Poels (Ned) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:04:01

9 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar 0:05:07

10 Robert Kiserlovski (Cro) Trek Factory Racing 0:05:13

I think we'll see a little shuffle in GC after today.

I'm dead sure Pozzovivo will attack again.

Edited by Cav'

Rolland, sure has some form coming into the Giro this year.

wonder what he's role at le'tour will be?

He's a very underrated rider.

post-12015-0-26943700-1400989185_thumb.jpg

Brutal. I would like to see wattage of those last km's tmrw. Quickstep will have to do some serious tempo riding onto the last climb. Crunchtime.

Today is the first day where the cream will have a chance to rise to the top. The first really big climb of the 2014 Giro. Time for those puncheurs and all-rounders still hanging about in the top 20 to say their goodbyes to the GC.

Make no mistake, the Montecampione is a monster. 1500m vertical elevation gain in 19km at an ave 7.7% gradient.

How it compares to some of Europe's more well known HC climbs:

Mont Ventoux: 1500m elevation gain in 21.5km @ 7.2%.

Col du Tourmalet: 1270m gain in 17km @ 7.4%.

Col du Galibier (from the north side): 1241m gain in 18km @ 6.9%.

Alpe d'Huez: 1073m gain in 13km @ 8.2%.

Of course the above numbers are just simplistic comparisons, and don't include difficulty, summit altitude, etc (e.g. the Galibier is a much harder climb since its summit is 1000m higher above sea level). But it's still worth pointing out that they’re basically doing an Italian Mont Ventoux today.

One last observation: despite it's truely impressive stature, it's interesting to see that Montecampione doesn't even get a mention in the list of top 50 climbs in Europe. Shows what an embarrassment of riches Europe has in terms of legendary climbs. Although, as the Giro includes Montecampione more frequently in future, and more stories are written of big battles on its slopes, so will it come to be recognised as a worthy inclusion amongst the giants of Europe.

So pull up a chair and a cooler with some cold ones. Today is going to be a belter :).

It's a long flat run towards the finishing climb today, perfect roads for riding tempo and Uran is doing just that as he sits near the front of the peloton with his Omega riders gathered around him.

There's a break:

Maxime Bouet (Ag2r La Mondiale), Daniele Ratto (Cannondale), Johan Le Bon (Fdr.fr), Andre Fernando Cardoso (Garmin Sharp), Damiano Cunego (Lampre Merida), Adam Hansen (Lotto Belisol), Simon Geschke (Giant Shiamo), Luca Paolini (Katusha), Fabio Felline (Trek Factory Racing), Rodolfo Torres (Colombia), Jackson Rodriguez (Androni Giocattoli), and Enrico Barbin (Bardiani-CSF)

The gap goes out to 4'30 so the bunch aren't letting the move get too far up the road.

Nearly 60km into the stage today and the break have moved out to 4'56. Omega continue to set the pace with Uran neartly tucked in and out of the wind.

The break finally draw their advantage over 5 minutes but it's taken a long time, and we've covered the opening 70km of the stage. A reminder of the riders in the break:

Maxime Bouet (Ag2r La Mondiale), Daniele Ratto (Cannondale), Johan Le Bon (Fdr.fr), Andre Fernando Cardoso (Garmin Sharp), Damiano Cunego (Lampre Merida), Adam Hansen (Lotto Belisol), Simon Geschke (Giant Shimamo), Luca Paolini (Katusha), Fabio Felline (Trek Factory Racing), Rodolfo Torres (Colombia), Jackson Rodriguez (Androni Giocattoli), and Enrico Barbin (Bardiani-CSF)