Giro d' Italia 2014

'Dale

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now into the final 70km of racing. The break maintain their advantage of around four minutes with the break still working well. The peloton hold all the cards although Orica will need help from other teams at some point.

The gap slips down to 3'33 now with the leading group starting to climb.

The break are on the lower slopes of the first climb. It's the first real climb of the Giro so far, although we've had a few fourth cats already. 67km to go.

Katusha, Tinkoff, BMC and Sky have all moved up to the front of the peloton as they set themselves for the climb.

The leader are now approaching to the top of the climb and there's going to be a battle for the KOM. They round around hairpin on this third cat climb with Thurau on the front.

It looks like Rubiano takes 7 points. Thurau was fourth I believe. Wegmann third.

Belkov has a problem, his back wheel locking up as he drops a rain jacket in it. He slides to a halt but should be fine. The peloton crest the top of the climb at 3'00.

It's all Orica on the front though as they control the field for Matthews. They're doing a lot of the work in this first week as they hold the race lead.

A few spots of rain starting to fall as the peloton line out on the descent.

The rain eases off almost instantly as up ahead the break reach the valley leading towards the final climb, which they'll do twice today.

The gap between the peloton is at 2'42. Tinkoff have brought Roche up to the front of the bunch, and Sky have done the same with Cataldo.

It looks like Rubiano takes 7 points. Thurau was fourth I believe. Wegmann third.

7 points to me, woop woop