Help saving weight on wife's bike

Gary57

My 26er/650b was 9,5kg, just grab a carbon 26er frame here on the hub, they cheap as chips second hand. U should be closer to 10kg then.

I will start with the bars, stem and seat post first.

I suggested buying here a new carbon bike but she says she is comfortable on hers and doesn't want to change so close to Sani2c.

How much weight could I save with the cassette?

Short answer - no, it's not.

Best weight savings you can get is with the contact points - post, stem, bars.

Crankset (as you've already seen) won't see drastic savings unless you go way up on the cost - and that's stupid IMO.

You can save another 500 grams pretty easily in the bar, stem and seatpost area, especially if she has the stock Scott items.

Your fork is perfect as is - no real savings to be had there.

Wheels - ZTR Alpine on Hopes are as light as you're going to get without, again, going into stupid money.

Bars stem & post don't need to be carbon to see major weight savings - the KCNC stuff is light, and cheap. Thompson is light, and not so cheap, but quality.

Agree 100% here. Only options left are to donate a kidney, lung etc. Get husband to carry all the water(sorry dude).

post-40998-0-54186800-1398089602_thumb.gif

Look at kcnc scandium seatpost, the sc-bone and their light stem (not sure which one. You should be able to save about 500g.

Ok so I will change the seat post, bars and stem.

What's next? Cranks are 100g but R2k, what about cassette? What else?

Ok so I will change the seat post, bars and stem.

What's next? Cranks are 100g but R2k, what about cassette? What else?

Cassette will save you approx 100g if you go to slx. 9 speed top of the lone cassettes should be pretty cheap so that is the route I'd suggest. An xtr cassette is 200g or so lighter than a deore.

Anyway... no other real options other than ti bolts or going to a single ring and dropping the fd and shifter, but that would be a longer term thing and means changing close to the event.

Other options - ESI grips. Can drop 100g there pretty easily.

Apart from that... not much at all, and anything else would be stupid money. Wheels will only be lighter in carbon.

Go for bars, stem, post, cassette (9 speed xtr should be pretty cheap by now and don't let anyone tell you she MUST upgrade to 10speed - that's just marketing - all you gain is extra weight and an extra ratio in the middle somewhere) and then ti bolts if you REALLY want to lose the weight.

Ok great, will start shopping tomorrow for all the bits and pieces. Any idea where is the best place to get it all from?

What do you think a carbon frame would cost from Scott Agents, assuming they still have 26" frames?

Ok great, will start shopping tomorrow for all the bits and pieces. Any idea where is the best place to get it all from?

What do you think a carbon frame would cost from Scott Agents, assuming they still have 26" frames?

Check out CWC first before running to CRC or PBS etc online. Rand/$ is still utterly crap so the savings might not be worth it

Also check out bikebay.co.za

Check out CWC first before running to CRC or PBS etc online. Rand/$ is still utterly crap so the savings might not be worth it

Also check out bikebay.co.za

100%

CRC is just my standard online go to. After I've been there I go to the rest