I got a problem with my shock

Mada3400

so i thought id come to the best place to sort it out, the internet, where the more you shout the more correct you are, its science

i have a fox DHX 5.0 air on my 2013 GT Force (large)

i weigh 85kg and am 193m tall

my problem is that the fox website tells me that i mustn't take my shock over 200 psi, so i have it set at 190 to 195 and it still feels very soft, is there anything i can do about it?

are there mods avaliable that will let me ramp up the pressure a little more? what about set up, i don't know much about that but it chilling at like 45% sag, and i like my bikes on the harder side of ride

Guest Omega Man

on the dhx air you should have 2 valves.

The one on the side is your usual air. That's effectively an air spring. I think that maxes out at 200 as you said. be sure to have the pro pedal setting to off when you pump it.

The one on the end can (the blue jiggamabob) is effectively a pneumatic bottom out. That maxes at 250 if I'm not mistaken.

Also. try a friend's shock pump. Yours might be fubar cos 200psi should be pretty hard.

post-18968-0-42699900-1399033231_thumb.jpg

* Disclaimer. I know nothing of use when it comes to suspension

digging that disclaimer dude.

just wondering, how does anyone get to that rebound knob, that thing is harder to get too then your phone once its fallen underneath a car seat

EDIT:

i haven't been using the shock pump while the pro pedal is off, might give that a try

Edited by mada3400

Guest Omega Man

digging that disclaimer dude.

Haha. Had to put that in there. There are far too many ken alles's in the world. Especially on this type of forum telling you in great detail exactly what setting you should be running, what tire pressures. etc etc etc. Then you see them ride.....

When it comes to air shocks I treat them like sex. I just pomp until it feels good.

* Disclaimer. I'm not a good rider. And I know nothing about suspension.

The dhx air has a max setting of 300 psi on the big chamber and 200 psi on the bottom out (piggy back with the blue adjuster knob thingie)

At least that's what mine has written on it.

As for the bottom out adjuster... you adjust it by putting a small Allen key into those holes and then Turning it clock or anti clock depending how much bottom out you have.

Ito adjustments - if you go to stoke, they can get you a spacer that fits Into the main air can to ramp it up more as it gets through its travel. You can also change the main canister for one from an Rp23 / rp2 which h will have the same effect. Apparently it's just a screw off / screw on install...

Oh btw - mines running 300 psi in the main chamber and 200 in the blue piggy back. I weigh just over 100 and I ride a reign x

*Disclaimer: "just" over 100kg's fluctuates depending on how many pies he's eaten the week prior.

= check out this video, it should give you some tips!

You need to re-check your pressure after making settings to the volume and boost settings.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/technical-tuesday-fox-dhx-setup-2010.html

omega man i know exactly who you are ;)

even still, i took your advice, turns out i was running at about only 180psi, so i pumped up to pretty much exactly 200psi, and did the same to the bottom out, it feels a lot more springy, but i lowered the rebound and that seemed to do the trick

i think i got about 35% sag atm and i thought before the ride i just did that that would be too much, but it actually seemed fine

omega man i know exactly who you are ;)

even still, i took your advice, turns out i was running at about only 180psi, so i pumped up to pretty much exactly 200psi, and did the same to the bottom out, it feels a lot more springy, but i lowered the rebound and that seemed to do the trick

i think i got about 35% sag atm and i thought before the ride i just did that that would be too much, but it actually seemed fine

Nice, bro. Even an 11% difference in pressure will make a huge difference in how it performs.

Which canister are you referring to on the pressures, and what does each one have in it?

Guest Omega Man

Ok rad that you got it working. Honestly tho. Mayhem knows more about the DHX air than i do so I'd take his advice on this.

Ok rad that you got it working. Honestly tho. Mayhem knows more about the DHX air than i do so I'd take his advice on this.

Lol. Only just, dude! And even then I only know what the max pressures are...

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

*Disclaimer: "just" over 100kg's fluctuates depending on how many pies he's eaten the week prior.

= check out this video, it should give you some tips!

You need to re-check your pressure after making settings to the volume and boost settings.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/technical-tuesday-fox-dhx-setup-2010.html

Jeez mate check your facts first before giving out bad info.

It's cakes not pies, everybody knows that. :lol:

Whenever I want help all I do is call him and mention cake, works like a charm. I even have him bringing the coffee lol.

Edited by marko35s

Jeez mate check your facts first before giving out bad info.

It's cakes not pies, everybody knows that. :lol:

Whenever I want help all I do is call him and mention cake, works like a charm. I even have him bringing the coffee lol.

Git. Not my fault you make good cupcakes

Git. Not my fault you make good cupcakes

I need more coffee, and a wheel building, so will be baking tomorrow afternoon :P