Headaches after riding

After long rides, ( depends on your point of view) of about 90km I get really bad headaches. A few hours after the ride my head starts. I drink at least two bottles of water on the ride and plenty when I get home. Anybody out there with similar problem?

I can spend two hours on a indoor trainer ( can't do more than that) and no headache. Three hours on the road and a headache for the rest of the day.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same. I simply need to eat something(choclate chips what eve) and normally goes.. Almost seems lack of something, never been able to figure out what though

Also got the same problem.

I now eat more solids while I ride and eat a proper meal directly after the ride.

seems to help.

Rehidrate ....I use that for the headaches ....read somehere a lack of potassium ...so now I have a banana or two on long rides as well ...

Helmet too tight?

Hydrate well the day before?

Upper body strength being trained - neck, shoulders, arms?

Can lead to referred tension.

Do you use good quality sunglasses? I have found that the glare off the road causes me to squint and the subsequent eye strain led to some impressive headaches. That disappeared when I decided to wear sunglasses while riding. Before that I never used to wear sunglasses.

But I know that headaches can be symptomatic of dehydration as your blood volume level drops. Very similar to sunstroke.

Me too. Head ache starts like 2-3 hours after a hard ride. Always thought it was caused combination of heat, tiredness or bright sunlight because I never wear sunglasses on the bike.

Might also caused by the dehidration because I don't drink a lot on the bike?

Same here. Tried adjusting my helmet. Tried eating bananas/solids on the trail. Must be a salt imbalance. Clears up nicely after something salty (with fluids!) ...I tell my wife the biltong is strictly for recovery reasons! It has something to do with your ADH (antidiuretic hormone) levels being raised prolonged during exercise and your blood/serum sodium taking a plunge in combination with fresh (low in sodium) water ingestion and sweat salt losses. Can't say that this is your case but 200g of biltong and 2l of energade sorts me out after a 50km race like today.

All of the above and proper bike set-up (any discrepancies can easily be masked on a short ride but on a longer ride - talking time in the saddle and not distance ridden - they are going to make themselves felt)can play a role

Do you use good quality sunglasses? I have found that the glare off the road causes me to squint and the subsequent eye strain led to some impressive headaches. That disappeared when I decided to wear sunglasses while riding. Before that I never used to wear sunglasses.

But I know that headaches can be symptomatic of dehydration as your blood volume level drops. Very similar to sunstroke.

I use Rudi Project sunglasses so no issue there.

Same here. Tried adjusting my helmet. Tried eating bananas/solids on the trail. Must be a salt imbalance. Clears up nicely after something salty (with fluids!) ...I tell my wife the biltong is strictly for recovery reasons! It has something to do with your ADH (antidiuretic hormone) levels being raised prolonged during exercise and your blood/serum sodium taking a plunge in combination with fresh (low in sodium) water ingestion and sweat salt losses. Can't say that this is your case but 200g of biltong and 2l of energade sorts me out after a 50km race like today.

Have not tried eating anything salty after a long ride, worth a try.

Helmet too tight?

Hydrate well the day before?

Upper body strength being trained - neck, shoulders, arms?

Can lead to referred tension.

Upper body strength, no problem there but taking the bike for a set up, may be something there.

Following this one.... My problem as well... Only on hard, long and intense rides. It feels like I just don't recover. I have tried sugar boosts, salt, rehydrate you name it. The usual headache tablets don't help either. On one occasion it was so bad I actually vomited. This was like 2-3 hours after the ride.

I had the same problem. Turned out that it was my sunnies that were to tight on my pip.

I get the same thing if I train in the heat of the day, or when I ride with just bottles and not an insulated camelbak full of ice. Heat exhaustion (mild heat stroke) is my guess, and it's a lot easier to get than you'd think.

Symptoms include:

Confusion

Dark-colored urine (a sign of dehydration)

Dizziness

Fainting

Fatigue

Headache

Muscle cramps

Nausea

Pale skin

Profuse sweating

Rapid heartbeat

Archived