USN Mountain bike race - Event 4

ycowley

Guest notmyname

My son rode the 30km. Not as cold as expected. Gained a podium for his category. What rubbish prizes. A USN Waterbottle and a USN Energy Bar. Total value probably around R40. Really not worth the wait for the prizegiving. He gained a podium at the Dischem Ride for Sight road race. earlier in the year. The prize was a Biogen Hamper worth around R800. Perhaps USN are not confident in their products.

Well done! It's a shame about the prize but knowing he kicked ass has got to take the cake! Boom!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you guys enter for a goodie bag, or to race. I think it was an awesome track and a great vibe!!!

Nice ride! Same route as USN ride in January this year - back then it was a scorcher of a day... much prefer todays weather!

Not really fussed about goody bags. Used to get a USN bottle at the end of these but nothing today. Don't really care... Had an awesome day out!

My son rode the 30km. Not as cold as expected. Gained a podium for his category. What rubbish prizes. A USN Waterbottle and a USN Energy Bar. Total value probably around R40. Really not worth the wait for the prizegiving. He gained a podium at the Dischem Ride for Sight road race. earlier in the year. The prize was a Biogen Hamper worth around R800. Perhaps USN are not confident in their products.

I think you must be very careful about this! The youngsters should race for the right reasons. He should not try to be a pro. When it becomes about the prize the parents get very involved and things get nasty quickly. He is riding to learn...

USN / Biogen... Same muti different packaging.

Biogen made specifically for Dischem

I think you must be very careful about this! The youngsters should race for the right reasons. He should not try to be a pro. When it becomes about the prize the parents get very involved and things get nasty quickly. He is riding to learn...

Talus. Your comments are fair and accepted. In general we try to keep my sons involvement in the sport as uncomplicated as possible and dont chase sponsorships which will place unwanted pressure on young shoulders. As such we pay our own way and dont race every weekend. Normally only the Trailseekers and the High School series. My annoyance probably stemmed from the 2 hour wait after the race to receive a waterbottle and energy bar while the books are waiting at home (exam time)

Talus. Your comments are fair and accepted. In general we try to keep my sons involvement in the sport as uncomplicated as possible and dont chase sponsorships which will place unwanted pressure on young shoulders. As such we pay our own way and dont race every weekend. Normally only the Trailseekers and the High School series. My annoyance probably stemmed from the 2 hour wait after the race to receive a waterbottle and energy bar while the books are waiting at home (exam time)

Bit of a hijack. Really consider getting him into XCO events as well, not sure of his age. But as a developing phase for MTB talent and enjoyment it fulfils a vital role for young and upcoming riders.

I was enjoying and having a good 50km race until having I had a stupid fall about 20kms in while getting something out my back pocket, hit the deck and snapped my bars in half then hiked back to the barn.

Good event and nice trails, good beer afterwards as well!!

I was enjoying and having a good 50km race until having I had a stupid fall about 20kms in while getting something out my back pocket, hit the deck and snapped my bars in half then hiked back to the barn.

Good event and nice trails, good beer afterwards as well!!

Mmmmm yes, forgot about the beer...

Archived