Mountain bike community launches anti-rogue riding campaign

News bot

Back to the North Shore, the guys who built those zones there did so out of their own pockets, for no income or rewards other than the satisfaction of having others appreciate their ingenuity and work of art. Whilst back home its all about the money, right? Though I did see a guy working hard and non-stop on a Jump Track at Groenies yesterday.

wrong.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wrong.

What the Northshore story? That's what I got from watching ""Ladder Bridges" last night - the words of Digger and Dangerous Dan themselves. Check it out, on Cycligntorrents as I mentioned.

What the Northshore story? That's what I got from watching ""Ladder Bridges" last night - the words of Digger and Dangerous Dan themselves. Check it out, on Cycligntorrents as I mentioned.

No, the part where you mentioned that "back home" its all about the money. Yes, there are a few people who make their money out of building and designing trails (Mark Gordon, Bennett Nel, Meurant Botha etc) but there is a Huuuuge volunteer component as well.

Guest Omega Man

No, the part where you mentioned that "back home" its all about the money. Yes, there are a few people who make their money out of building and designing trails (Mark Gordon, Bennett Nel, Meurant Botha etc) but there is a Huuuuge volunteer component as well.

Agree.

Mark Gordon built the G Spot in his own time and on his own dime. He is an enthusiast and thankfully he been given work at the Garden Route trail park where he's busy building AMAAAAAAZING trail for very little reward. I've watched him work there and he puts in more work and is even more ripped than the guys that work for him. The guy is a legitimate trail building hero. Intimating that he does for money really is way off the mark.

It's the same with Bennet Nel. The stuff he's built at his private little trail in Stellenbosch is amazing.

Muerant has been sucked in to the politics of it all but he's hardly a millionaire.

These guys do it for the love. If they get to pay their meager bills out of it then great.

You don't need to watch movies about Vancouver's North Shore to learn about trail building hero's. Just hang out at Jonkers on a weekend and have a chat with Bennet. Or go to the Garden Route Trial park and share a beer with Mark.

Edited by Omega Man

Cool, guess there is the Spruit fairies as well...

I've done a fair amount of non-profit volunteer work in various capacities, really enjoy just making things happen because you can. Although I have had the problem sometimes of some people questioning one's motives because "you not making anything out of it".