Cycling Lanes are coming to Johannesburg

Catatonic_Joe

I have now used the Braamfontein cycle paths several times. The green surface is great, but there are a number of confusing twists and turns in the paths. It also seems that momentum has been lost, as the uphill cycle path along Enoch Sontonga is still standing incomplete.

It is great to finally have some cycle paths in the city. However, it would be interesting to see some stats on the usage of these paths, as I have hardly seen anyone else use them beside cars, buses, taxis and pedestrians. Did CoJ do some analysis of pre/post cycle path cyclist tracking (which is frequently done on cycle paths in several European cities)? I'd like to know if the Braamfontein cycle paths have encouraged more cyclists to use these routes.

Do you not think that even tho people still ride their cars on it, it is still safer for the cyclist, because they notice something is different and pay more attention to what's happening on the green lane, instead of just riding ahead on the road and not paying attention to the cyclists on the side of the road?

Asking this because I haven't been there myself and haven't withnessed what the situation is like. Just wondered if it woul have this pro or not.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome thanks for that. Are both the blue and red streets completed bike lanes?

How safe is that intersection on Solomon and 8th street? 

I wanted to ride that way but i was put off because a colleague of mine was threatened with a gun on that exact spot. Safety is a big concern for me. I rather go empire and up jan smuts.

Both the Red and Blue are currently under construction, the only are that is actually completed is between Bertha Street and Raikes Road.

From my experience, the intersection at Solomon and 8th street is safe. I cycled to Wits for 4 years, at odd hours and in odd weather and I did not have a single incident. 

I was speaking to one of our transport activists about the safety/crime issue, he said to me that whether you are in a car, walking, or cycling, whether you are going to the shop, work, or on holiday, the chance of you being a victim to crime, smash and grab or a mugging does not lessen. So you should not be afraid, rather you should be aware of your surroundings, be prepared, and be street smart. I agree with that, you have to be prepared no matter what mode of transport you are using. 

Both the Red and Blue are currently under construction, the only are that is actually completed is between Bertha Street and Raikes Road.

From my experience, the intersection at Solomon and 8th street is safe. I cycled to Wits for 4 years, at odd hours and in odd weather and I did not have a single incident. 

I was speaking to one of our transport activists about the safety/crime issue, he said to me that whether you are in a car, walking, or cycling, whether you are going to the shop, work, or on holiday, the chance of you being a victim to crime, smash and grab or a mugging does not lessen. So you should not be afraid, rather you should be aware of your surroundings, be prepared, and be street smart. I agree with that, you have to be prepared no matter what mode of transport you are using. 

This is a sad reality. We just need to be aware and on the lookout ALL THE TIME..  

No plans for Bike Lanes in Sandton Area?

There are plans for the Sandton area. I will try and get hold of some of the maps and post it here. 

Johannesburg and specifically Sandton has taken up a massive challenge and something that will undoubtedly push the cycling agenda beyond what any of us could have hoped for. "Eco-mobility World Festival 2015, Johannesburg"! 

Follow these links for more information:

http://www.iclei.org/details/article/johannesburg-takes-up-the-challenge-of-a-car-free-city.html

http://www.mynewsdesk.co.za/joburg-host-ecomobility-world-festival/

There are plans for the Sandton area. I will try and get hold of some of the maps and post it here. 

Johannesburg and specifically Sandton has taken up a massive challenge and something that will undoubtedly push the cycling agenda beyond what any of us could have hoped for. "Eco-mobility World Festival 2015, Johannesburg"! 

Follow these links for more information:

http://www.iclei.org/details/article/johannesburg-takes-up-the-challenge-of-a-car-free-city.html

http://www.mynewsdesk.co.za/joburg-host-ecomobility-world-festival/

Some good news! Will be interesting to see what happens in Sandton next year October.

Hope to get some more of my work buddies to occasionally cycle to work.

• 3 weeks later...

I see the lanes in Jorrisen and Smit are coming along nicely. 

Few more to go, and bumps still to be added on some parts, but its looking good.

They are also nice and smooth, and very green.

Problem I have experienced is that there are either cars parked in the lanes (drove over bumps) or there are taxis parked half over the lane picking people up. 

So this is how a robot to robot bike lane is like:

Start riding in bike lane, 5m further, exit through or over bumps to avoid cars, ride to robot in street with cars.

next robot, repeat.

So now i check the lane, if occupied, i just keep riding in the road with the cars.

I think spikes on the bumps should keep the cars from driving over them as if they don't exist. 

• 5 weeks later...

So I have tried the route along Enoch Sontonga Ave to Jorissen, 

The stretch on Enoch Sontonga has a bit of a dip, in this dip there is a pool of water that collects which is about 10cm deep (guess), doesnt look like it drains. 

Still way too many cars/taxi's/busses/metro police in the bike lanes.

• 3 weeks later...

So I have tried the route along Enoch Sontonga Ave to Jorissen, 

The stretch on Enoch Sontonga has a bit of a dip, in this dip there is a pool of water that collects which is about 10cm deep (guess), doesnt look like it drains. 

Still way too many cars/taxi's/busses/metro police in the bike lanes.

Yeah, that pool of water gets me too! And it covers 3 lanes after a decent downpour! 

We are meeting the City this Thursday, along with a JDA, JMPD, UJ, Wits, JRA, JUCA and a few other organisations. My plan is to open up this forum and let the these people hear exactly what those who ride these lanes have to say.

JUCA put together a comprehensive and lengthy document explaining exactly what needs to be done if the City wants more cyclists to ride this route. Hopefully this meeting will be the first step to activating the Braamfontein cycle lanes.

As JUCA we went around the cycle lanes speaking to drivers parked in the cycle, and while some were rude and arrogant, most of them were polite and simply said that they were not aware that these lanes were exclusively for cyclists. So clearly the education and awareness does not exist.

As such, JUCA has developed a flyer (see below) which we ask each of you who ride, walk, drive these lanes, to print out and keep them on you. When you see a car, taxi, or bus parked in the lanes, please leave one on their windscreen. 

Cycle Lane Flyers.pdf

You can find the flyer on the JUCA website as well: www.juca.org.za

Thanks

It would be awesome to have a cycle lane going up Marlboro and South into Sandton...

Actually would be awesome to have cycle lanes in Sandton full stop.

It would be awesome to have a cycle lane going up Marlboro and South into Sandton...

Actually would be awesome to have cycle lanes in Sandton full stop.

Preach it, brother!

Yesterday i nearly took out 2 pedestrians. I was in the cycle lane and they decided to step into the lane without looking. Tyres screeched and I stopped a few cm from them, the girl got a big skruk. Didnt have a flyer with to give to them, and had no time to explain, so just pedaled on. They gana learn.

The MEC et al are facing the wrong direction

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f17/796391d1345422890-first-dye-job-epic-fail-facedesk-facedesk-facepalm-fail-demotivational-posters-1310644617.jpg

they're politicians so backpedalling comes naturally to them

Archived