Cyclelab Johannesburg - experiences please!

Butterbean

Thanks for the replies guys... I think I'll try take a ride with them on Saturday, and see what the vibe is like!

And 1100 doesn't sound too bad... Fabs, the website says fees are as follows for new members: 800 for shirt only, 1100 for shirt and bibs...

Keep the responses coming though! Is definitely interesting!

I guess at the end of the day, I'm just looking for no nonsense group riding... Sock of trying to arrange people and their piss poor excuses for not pitching, coming late, etc.... So, ill hopefully see some, of you there this weekend!

Hello afdElite .... Even more of a bargain then :thumbup:

So, I'm tired of doing the long warrior thing, and thinking of joining the Cyclelab joburg club. I've rode with the for sections on cradle rides on the odd occasion, but want to know a few things:

1. How is the general vibe within the groups? Would probably look at the 26-30kph groups...

2. Is the 1100 worth it? What's the quality of the bibs they give you? Shirts are shirts so not too worried, but what do the race tents do?

3. Does joining the jhb club mean I can ride with the fourways and Boksburg guys? I'm in the middle of both but prefer the cradle, but would like to know if I have the option anyway.

4. What's their deal with people trying out a ride? Snobby? Or is everyone relatively friendly, even though I'll just be taking a look?

Any other experiences, anecdotes, or warnings, please add here!

Thanks!

So, I'm tired of doing the long warrior thing, and thinking of joining the Cyclelab joburg club. I've rode with the for sections on cradle rides on the odd occasion, but want to know a few things:

1. How is the general vibe within the groups? Would probably look at the 26-30kph groups...

2. Is the 1100 worth it? What's the quality of the bibs they give you? Shirts are shirts so not too worried, but what do the race tents do?

3. Does joining the jhb club mean I can ride with the fourways and Boksburg guys? I'm in the middle of both but prefer the cradle, but would like to know if I have the option anyway.

4. What's their deal with people trying out a ride? Snobby? Or is everyone relatively friendly, even though I'll just be taking a look?

Any other experiences, anecdotes, or warnings, please add here!

Thanks!

Hi

You are more than welcome to try us out. We encourage it! ;-)

We depart from Cycle Lab Megastore at 7am winter times (We change back to summer times in September – 6am)

We have a number of Road and MTB groups, all doing different Average speeds and distances.

When you arrive (7.45am) you will find an announcer on a PA system who will ask Guests/Beginners/First Time riders with the club to come forward so we can introduce you to a marshal, who will ensure that you join an appropriate group for your discipline/experience expectations.

There are also telescopic banners in the air, which give info on that group ride (ie Road/MTB, Distance, Average Speed, Ride Time) There are info boards on the floor which have this info on them (see below)

We have a fabulous coffee shop to socialize at after the ride.

We may be very organized, but I promise we are most certainly not snobby. J

Our membership fees are R1 000 from now till the end of the year. R900 of it goes towards your Club Kit (Bibs and Shirt) or R700 which includes the Shirt and your Subs. If you have a brand of bibs that you prefer then you don’t need to take the membership that includes the bibs.

If you have any questions or want to set up a time/day that I meet you at the club ride, pls let me know on clubpr@cyclelab.com. Regards Ali Mclean

MOUNTAIN BIKE RIDES

PLEASE NOTE THAT RIDE TIMES MAY DIFFER DUE TO UNFORSEEN MECHANICALS THAT RIDERS MAY EXPERIENCE

MTB - A Group – This is a ride of over 55 km, 3 hrs +, speed 20km/hr +, for experienced and very fit riders, non-marshaled. Also known as the Race Snake Ride

MTB - B Group – This is a ride of approximately 55 km, about 3 hrs, 19km/h non-marshaled. Also known as the Puffy Ride

MTB - C Group – This is a ride of approx 40-45km, at a strong pace, for intermediate riders, 17km/hr, about 2.5 hours.

MTB - D Group –This is a ride of approx. 30-35km, at a moderate pace for those wanting to still improve their fitness or wanting to do a shorter route. Ride must be capable of riding for 15km/h for 2 – 2.5hrs

MTB - E Group – A great transition from the beginner clinic to riding on the trails. @hrs at approx. 13-15km/h. Total distance 26 – 30km (Beaulieu Route)

MTB - Beginners - Please join us for a MTB Beginner Clinic/Ride. Where we will practice skills and techniques, which will include a riding distance of 15km over 2hrs. This ride typically goes to the PWC Bike Park.

MTB RIDE GROUPS

Tubeless tires (fresh sealant) and well-serviced bikes are essentials for happy rides.

Please arrive for club rides with the basic mechanical equipment you may need to fix any repairs whilst out on a club ride.

Please also ensure that you have sufficient water bottles to cover you for the ride time you embark on.

Please note that we may advertise a route at 2/3hrs long, but there may be unforeseen circumstances of mechanical failures within the groups’ ride, that could result in up to an hour added onto your ride time. Make sure your family at home is aware of this.

The last group to depart will be the Beginner Clinic Ride for MTB'ers, the group led by either Rob Yates or Suandi Rakim

MTB GROUPS

GROUP

APPROX DISTANCE

APPROX TIME

AVERAGE SPEED

MTB - A

55 km +

3. hrs +

22km+

MTB - B

55 km

3 hrs +-

19km

MTB - C

40 - 45 km

2.5 hrs +-

17km

MTB - D

30 - 35 km

2 – 2.5 hrs

15km

MTB - E

26km

2hrs

13 - 15km/h

MTB - Beginners

15km

2hrs

Up to 2hrs

ROAD RIDES GROUPS

FLAG

GROUPS

APPROX DISTANCE

APPROX TIME

MARSHALL

AVERAGE SPEED

ROAD

A

93km (Caves)

2.45hr

Non Marshaled

32km/h +

ROAD

B

93km (Caves)

3hr

Non Marshaled

32 km/h

ROAD

C1

93km (Caves)

3hr15hmin

Marshaled

30 km/h

ROAD

C2

93km (Caves)

3hr20min

Marshaled

28 km/h

ROAD

C3

93km (Caves)

3hr20min

Marshaled

27 km/h

ROAD

D1

93km (Caves)

3hr30min

Marshaled

26 km/h

ROAD

D2

75km (Lion Circle)

3hr15min

Marshaled

24 km/h

ROAD

D3

75km (Lion Circle)

3hr30min

Marshaled

23 km/h

ROAD

D4

55km

3h3

Marshaled

21/22km/h

ROAD

E

35-40km

2hr

Martin/Migration

18km/h

ROAD

Beginner Clinic

5km loops

2hr

Steve

-

I must say that when my wife bought her first bike from them we rode with them for a few rides and the "instructor" was great at getting the newbies into the gears and all the rest of the stuff that was required to enjoy your riding.

I tried a few cradle rides and once you find the right group, the marshaling and safety in numbers provided by the groups was fantastic. As with any group event you're always going to encounter a few tonsils and this was no different but for the most part it was something well worth the cost. I never tried the MTB groups but I have encountered them on a few rides I did on my own and the fact that there looked to be safety in numbers appealed to me a lot. Just never got around to joining.

From what I gather and it could have changed, the R1K is for the first year and bibs and the renewals are cheaper going forward unless you require new kit.

Hi

You are more than welcome to try us out. We encourage it! ;-)

We depart from Cycle Lab Megastore at 7am winter times (We change back to summer times in September – 6am)

We have a number of Road and MTB groups, all doing different Average speeds and distances.

When you arrive (7.45am) you will find an announcer on a PA system who will ask Guests/Beginners/First Time riders with the club to come forward so we can introduce you to a marshal, who will ensure that you join an appropriate group for your discipline/experience expectations.

There are also telescopic banners in the air, which give info on that group ride (ie Road/MTB, Distance, Average Speed, Ride Time) There are info boards on the floor which have this info on them (see below)

We have a fabulous coffee shop to socialize at after the ride.

We may be very organized, but I promise we are most certainly not snobby. J

Our membership fees are R1 000 from now till the end of the year. R900 of it goes towards your Club Kit (Bibs and Shirt) or R700 which includes the Shirt and your Subs. If you have a brand of bibs that you prefer then you don’t need to take the membership that includes the bibs.

If you have any questions or want to set up a time/day that I meet you at the club ride, pls let me know on clubpr@cyclelab.com. Regards Ali Mclean

MOUNTAIN BIKE RIDES

PLEASE NOTE THAT RIDE TIMES MAY DIFFER DUE TO UNFORSEEN MECHANICALS THAT RIDERS MAY EXPERIENCE

MTB - A Group – This is a ride of over 55 km, 3 hrs +, speed 20km/hr +, for experienced and very fit riders, non-marshaled. Also known as the Race Snake Ride

MTB - B Group – This is a ride of approximately 55 km, about 3 hrs, 19km/h non-marshaled. Also known as the Puffy Ride

MTB - C Group – This is a ride of approx 40-45km, at a strong pace, for intermediate riders, 17km/hr, about 2.5 hours.

MTB - D Group –This is a ride of approx. 30-35km, at a moderate pace for those wanting to still improve their fitness or wanting to do a shorter route. Ride must be capable of riding for 15km/h for 2 – 2.5hrs

MTB - E Group – A great transition from the beginner clinic to riding on the trails. @hrs at approx. 13-15km/h. Total distance 26 – 30km (Beaulieu Route)

MTB - Beginners - Please join us for a MTB Beginner Clinic/Ride. Where we will practice skills and techniques, which will include a riding distance of 15km over 2hrs. This ride typically goes to the PWC Bike Park.

MTB RIDE GROUPS

Tubeless tires (fresh sealant) and well-serviced bikes are essentials for happy rides.

Please arrive for club rides with the basic mechanical equipment you may need to fix any repairs whilst out on a club ride.

Please also ensure that you have sufficient water bottles to cover you for the ride time you embark on.

Please note that we may advertise a route at 2/3hrs long, but there may be unforeseen circumstances of mechanical failures within the groups’ ride, that could result in up to an hour added onto your ride time. Make sure your family at home is aware of this.

The last group to depart will be the Beginner Clinic Ride for MTB'ers, the group led by either Rob Yates or Suandi Rakim

MTB GROUPS

GROUP

APPROX DISTANCE

APPROX TIME

AVERAGE SPEED

MTB - A

55 km +

3. hrs +

22km+

MTB - B

55 km

3 hrs +-

19km

MTB - C

40 - 45 km

2.5 hrs +-

17km

MTB - D

30 - 35 km

2 – 2.5 hrs

15km

MTB - E

26km

2hrs

13 - 15km/h

MTB - Beginners

15km

2hrs

Up to 2hrs

ROAD RIDES GROUPS

FLAG

GROUPS

APPROX DISTANCE

APPROX TIME

MARSHALL

AVERAGE SPEED

ROAD

A

93km (Caves)

2.45hr

Non Marshaled

32km/h +

ROAD

B

93km (Caves)

3hr

Non Marshaled

32 km/h

ROAD

C1

93km (Caves)

3hr15hmin

Marshaled

30 km/h

ROAD

C2

93km (Caves)

3hr20min

Marshaled

28 km/h

ROAD

C3

93km (Caves)

3hr20min

Marshaled

27 km/h

ROAD

D1

93km (Caves)

3hr30min

Marshaled

26 km/h

ROAD

D2

75km (Lion Circle)

3hr15min

Marshaled

24 km/h

ROAD

D3

75km (Lion Circle)

3hr30min

Marshaled

23 km/h

ROAD

D4

55km

3h3

Marshaled

21/22km/h

ROAD

E

35-40km

2hr

Martin/Migration

18km/h

ROAD

Beginner Clinic

5km loops

2hr

Steve

-

Thanks Ali!

I'll see you guys on Saturday, bar any issues.

Thanks for the info!

Joss

Hi Guys,

My 2nd year with CycleLab and all I can add is that it's a NO-BRAINER value for money deal.

Even if you just ride once or twice a month - there is no way you could replicate this experience - the price is absolutely immaterial IMO.

Never mind the race tents which are sponsored anyway and really welcomed after a hot sweaty ride.

The vibe is totally dependant on you and the people you with and it's what you make of it.

As my good friend always says -" there's always one arsehole in a group and if you don't know who it is - it's probably you"

I highly recommend the Club and - it's well run and it's a real bonus if you within easy reach.

Rob

Hi Guys,

My 2nd year with CycleLab and all I can add is that it's a NO-BRAINER value for money deal.

Even if you just ride once or twice a month - there is no way you could replicate this experience - the price is absolutely immaterial IMO.

Never mind the race tents which are sponsored anyway and really welcomed after a hot sweaty ride.

The vibe is totally dependant on you and the people you with and it's what you make of it.

As my good friend always says -" there's always one arsehole in a group and if you don't know who it is - it's probably you"

I highly recommend the Club and - it's well run and it's a real bonus if you within easy reach.

Rob

Jeez, I hope I'm not going to be considered "one of the arseholes" for this comment, but here goes.

I was a member for a year, didn't enjoy it at all. Just couldn't find a group that I was happy with, but that is more than likely my own fault because I am used to training alone, and not at a predetermined pace.

I still ride in the Cradle, and pass the Labrat groups from time to time, share a greeting or two with some of the guys I know, so no hard feelings either way.

It just wasn't for me.

Edited by Falco

• 2 weeks later...

So I thought some follow up is in order, both or those who've replied and those who may be looking!

Went fort first ride with the group two weeks ago Saturday. Chose to ride d2 just to be safe - 74 kms @ 24 km/h. Vibe was awesome!! David Marshall was great in answering all my silly questions as we rode along, and the real marshals were great. Always rode max two abreast, and the pace was nice an relaxed. Group was chatty, which was a nice change from the long lonely rides, as everyone was well behaved - held their lines, paced well up front, and stopped at red lights!!

So, I went again last week and tried d1, 93kms @ 26kph. Group felt a lot more serious and was quiet for the first few kms, but we all warme to each other in the end. Once again, pace was great, you feel nice and secure in the fact that, if anything goes wrong, you'll be fine! Apart from some tossers splitting the group on the way back, we all had a good ride!

I joined today:)

Only thing I can bitch about is the pacing... While the average speed is perfect, we seem to keep it all the time! Feels slow on the flats and then you're not allowed to slow down on the uphills! I suppose I only notice because I'm a fatty, but it's the only thing that feels slightly out of kilter!

For anyone on here who I rode with, I'll hopefully be in blue next time and leave the lump yellow shirt at home!

I've been with the club for over 10 years. Club rides are superbly organised, they offer a safe regular option, they have great back up and offer variety based on fitness. The after race tents at the Argus and 94.7 are superb. The value over the year is also worth it, and you have the option to ride with the MTB rides as and when you want to.

Only thing I can bitch about is the pacing... While the average speed is perfect, we seem to keep it all the time! Feels slow on the flats and then you're not allowed to slow down on the uphills! I suppose I only notice because I'm a fatty, but it's the only thing that feels slightly out of kilter!

Think of it as intervals :)