MTB Shoes for the Cape Epic

Sasquatch

I've had my eye on these for general trail riding. So I'd also appreciate a review.

I got the impression there isn't much walking/ portage on the Epic, so light weight race-snake shoes might serve you better for that event. But maybe someone who has done it can enlighten me.

Edited by Nick.

Not much walking..... mmmm..... best you make sure your shoes fit properly and you can walk in them.. ymmv.... you will for sure do some walking on an Epic, even if you are a pro - just how much exactly is hard to say, but more than on an average weekday ride.

I have used Sidi Eagle 6's and Dragon3's - both were fine, but needed new rubber tread bits afterwards.

So what is a good MTB shoe for doing the Cape Epic? I have been eyeballing these http://www.giro.com/...uro-20373.html. They seem to have some pretty good reviews.

Hi Sas,

I've done the Epic with the Giro Privateer shoes and was very happy with them.

The amount of time you will spend walking on the Epic depends on your fitness/skills level. I found the walking part is generally overrated - even the back markers spend more time in the saddle than walking. Therefore I wouldn't aim for a special hiking oriented shoe but rather go for a model with a stiffer outsole to provide a better power transfer.

Having said that - the most important part is that the shoe fits comfortably. You will spend 6hrs + in the shoes - make sure that they fit properly and also use them at least 3 months before the race.

The Terraduro looks very comfy though. I recommend to try them on and make at least a short test ride on your pedals. If you can significantly feel the pedals through the outsole it might not be the best choice.

Good luck with the Epic!

Both my partner and I rode in S-Works. Light, stiff & comfortable. Train properly and you wont do a lot of walking.

If you walk a Couple of Hundred Metres each day its a lot (weather permitting)

I Started in S-Works on Prologue and Stage 1 and 2, But then moved back to my Trusty Fizik M5's (for comfort).

As said above make sure you have worn them in properly and take a second pair (that's also worn in) for if the first gets wet/muddy or damaged.

Edited by Ferret69

I Started in S-Works on Prologue and Stage 1 and 2, But then moved back to my Trusty Fizik M5's (for comfort).

Hey Ferret,

I just replaced my Giros with a pair Of Fizik M5.

They feel awfully comfortable. What is your opinion about durability of the M5's? I was a little concerned because they look so fragile...

Giro is a headgear manufacturer and make great helmets all experience I have had with their apparel is bad it doesn't last. I would go for Sidi or Specialized cant go wrong.

There is plenty walking on the Epic, especially if you start in the latter bunches. Sometimes you don't have a choice, its rideable but everyone else is walking so your only option is to hop off and join the club. If your partner is walking its generally easier to walk too, especially if you are pushing her bike as well as yours... :P

Specialized Epic Comp with good quality socks was a winning combo for me.

My experience has been that walking at the Epic is more like mountaineering / rock climbing. I.e. walking up and down the road's not really an indication of how the shoes will perform in real life.

I used Pearl Izumi X Projects and would recommend thick socks.

Have a brand new pair of Shimano MT71 for sale, size 44. Bought at great expense from Evans Cycles, turned out to be a size too small. Cannot return, cost to send back more than cost of shoes :-).

waveduke, There are Pros and Cons to the M5

Pros - Super Comfy shoes, and soft heel so No blisters when you walk in them (unlike the S-Works)

Cons - Soft Material makes them retain water and takes ages to Dry, Clips are a bit dodge, so if they get mud or grit in them they don't release at all