Western Cape Audax SR Series 2014 & 2015

walkerr

F-R-A-I-L, it seems one has to do a SR series of 200/300/400/600km BRM sanctioned rides, such as those mentioned above.

14 months to go, so "now" might be the time to start training . . . (= me, not you FRAIL)

And one can pre-qualify etc as there is a limit on the amount of entrants .

Audax/randonneur'íng is very much based on being self-reliant and the PBP event is hosted by a few thousand volunteers and run by a few clubs! So, while us SA'ers have to fly there at great expense, the entrance fee is only +-120 Euros if you get in. While the Epic . . .

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toiletries? What are those ;) .... in all seriousness, I did carry small travel toothbrush and mini shower gel and razor and deodorant. Took up very little space, I think I even used them once ...

I think you at least need soap and a towel.

For the 600 you are planing, is the plan to sleep at Struis bay? Will there be a option of getting a drop bag there?

Edit: all of which assuming I qualify of course. Guilty of thinking too many rides ahead!

Don't doubt yourself. You can do it!

I think you at least need soap and a towel.

For the 600 you are planing, is the plan to sleep at Struis bay? Will there be a option of getting a drop bag there?

Yep - anyone who's looking to sleep/nap, Struis Bay is the plan

TBH - as long as my teeth are clean, and my shorts are clean, I can miss the odd shower and catchup at the end ;)

Edit - We're still debating start times for the 600. A night time start is under consideration as a way to give a better arrival time in Struis Bay for average speed riders.

• 1 month later...

Time flies! The first Cape Audax ride is just a few weeks away.

End of 2014

• 200km - 28 Sept 2014 (pre-qualifier for 2015 PBP)
  • 300km - 11 Oct 2014 (pre-qualifier for 2015 PBP)
  • 400km - 8 Nov 2014 (qualifier for 2015 PBP)
  • 600km - 6 Dec 2014 (qualifier for 2015 PBP)

Start of 2015

• 200km - 17 Jan 2015 (qualifier for 2015 PBP)
  • 300km - 21 Feb 2015 (qualifier for 2015 PBP)
  • 400km - 21 Mar 2015 (qualifier for 2015 PBP)
  • 600km - 25 Apr 2015 (qualifier for 2015 PBP)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

just a fitness question for you guys.

if one can do a 361km mountain bike ride (with limited support) in 36.1 hours, how does that equate to distance on a road ? Does that put one at being able to do a 400km ride ?

if one can do a 361km mountain bike ride (with limited support) in 36.1 hours, how does that equate to distance on a road ? Does that put one at being able to do a 400km ride ?

So you've entered the 36One then Slowbee? Awesome, me too!

Personally I'd equate the 400km Audax to say a Trans Baviaans (230km), the 361km I'd say is more like a 600km. We have one of those coming up as well if you fancy - on Dec 7th!

Both this 400km and the 600km in December are PBP 2015 qualifiers (as are the Cape Audaxes we are doing in 2015)

Feedback of the Cape BRM 300, 11Oct'14

My first Audax ride! I had to miss the BRM200 due to illness.

After a delayed 4h00am start, it was actually quite nice to ride into the night. Early on we had a few technicals' - including a cut tyre and my cycling glasses snapped into two pieces. Luckily walkerr brought a spare tyre for Nico. I had to ride the rest of day without glasses.  

What is it like to do an ultra endurance Audax event - well, it is quite sociable with a few stops to get nourishments (coffee, then cool drinks & water, and later on chips & one light beer)

One has the strong feeling of exploring the countryside as well as the ultimate limits of ones body and mind and soul and karma and...!

One rides at a casual pace. That, actually, is crucial as one is on the bike all day and part of the night. So a slow pace is not a luxury but quite essential if one wants to finish! It ain't no bazooka clubride!

My body said "no more" at 180km and after some honest discussions and evaluations, it became clear that my body did not lack food nor water, but electrolytes!!! The problem with electrolytes is that they take a long time to be effective. After more than one hour of cycling slowly and sipping rehydrate, I slowly started to bounce back! At 230km I got my second-wind and felt strong till the end! Great!

Glad I finished and that I did it!! (305km, 3020m climbing)

Many thanks to Vrede wine farm!! Thanks to Emmerentia who did the security vehicle and photos towards the end!

"Audax" (meaning): kind of a colloquial nickname for: Audacious cycling - which is just an old word for: flipping crazy monster ride!

Next one, if mad enough: Cape BRM 400 (08Nov'14, Saturday 00h01 start, Winelands, Veldrift, Saldahna, Darling) and Cape BRM 600 (06Dec'14, Cape Aghulus and back)

post-3456-0-46249300-1415169447_thumb.jpg

Pic of the last hard climb into the setting sun

post-3456-0-52373700-1415169492_thumb.jpg

Some great feedback and thoughts there Peter - nice one!

I'm both looking forward too this weekend's 400, and nervous at the same time. We're getting into the properly tough distances with these last two Cape Audaxes for 2014. Mapping out the 600km route last night to iron out any wrinkles and determine control times, I was suddenly struck by just how far it is (duh!). The word audacious is not inappropriate.

Here's hoping for kind weather and light winds for this weekend and the 600 in December.

Some great feedback and thoughts there Peter - nice one!

I'm both looking forward too this weekend's 400, and nervous at the same time. We're getting into the properly tough distances with these last two Cape Audaxes for 2014. Mapping out the 600km route last night to iron out any wrinkles and determine control times, I was suddenly struck by just how far it is (duh!). The word audacious is not inappropriate.

Here's hoping for kind weather and light winds for this weekend and the 600 in December.

Eish, and I thought the BRM 300 was tough!

I am at that stage where I don't want to (over)think the BRM400; just get to the start and climb onto my bike and point it north. 

The one thing I am looking forward too, is that 220km of the 400 are roads which I never cycled on! I really like to explore!

I am at that stage where I don't want to (over)think the BRM400; just get to the start and climb onto my bike and point it north. 

The one thing I am looking forward too, is that 220km of the 400 are roads which I never cycled on! I really like to explore!

Absolutely right approach. Never think more than 1 control ahead at a time. Enjoy whatever scenery is around you as you go, and don't let your mind wander too far down the road ahead.

As a rough comparison, we did a 337km road ride (aiming for 356kms but we got abused by the South Easter and ran out of time) in a moving time of 12:17:01 (elapsed time of 14:19:02), on the hottest day of the year (48C). Our pace was between LSD and tempo.

We also did the 36One in a moving time of 15:57:52 (elapsed time of 16:44:33). Our pace was mid to high tempo, and it was certainly up there with the tougher rides I have done.

If you can do 36One, 400kms on a road bike with favourable conditions is quite doable.

Will we be allowed to wheelsuck? I have not done any training for the event but looks fun, wonder if I should try the 400km the weekend. 

Just to make sure:"Herewith details for the upcoming 400km event for CPT to start at 00:01 – the first minute of Saturday 8th November 2014 from Vrede wines."

So that's a realllly early start...wow, Dane, are you doing with, I need to slip someone otherwise I'm not going to make it... 

Archived