Morning and Evening MTB Commute - Sea Point to City via TM

Cam182

Hi everybody

I'm looking to lengthen my commute some days from Sea Point to the city and go on the mtb via table mountain.

Ideally i'm thinking of cycling thru clifton to camps bay and then climbing up to signal hill/lions head via kloof (unless there is an offroad trail?) and then up to table mountain to do part of the goat and entering the city via vredehoek.

On the way home i was hoping to do the reverse with perhaps a way down into sea point thru a trail on lions head. Although i cant find this on any of the maps just the bo kaap trails.

I can't make the newbie rides on the tablemountainbikers website so i was hoping to get some advice here.

Firstly is it relatively safe? I'll be riding between 6am-7am / 6pm-7pm when its currently dark. I have a light but i'm more concerned about crime. I know there is always a risk but am what i doing high risk or medium/low risk as there'll be others on the route at this time. Does anyone else do this or a similar commute that i can join?

Secondly i'm happy to get a permit. Seems to be a debatable issue on here and i'm guessing sanparks wont be policing at these times (or else i wouldn't have to worry about crime) but i'm happy to get one. I'm assuming its just a lvl 3 activity card?

Lastly any tips about learning which way to go or anything i've missed? I was planning on doing a dry run this sunday mid morning with a printed map to find my way.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The mountain is usually pretty busy during these times so you should be alright safety wise, particularly in the even.

The trails on Loins Head are not legal for riding and at your times you could piss off a few trail runners who will probably give you a talking to. Also the SanParks guys seem to spend more time Lions Head side so illegal riding is more likely to cost you a R500 fine. As the times you are out are peak times you are likely to see SanParks guys and maybe asked for your Activity Card though I have yet to expereince it.