Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

Lehana's you go round I got to the bottom 10 minutes ahead of Glen I got to Rhodes 20 min earlier, ok he might have gone for coffee at Tina Head. No seriously I even made a mistake and went to wide I believe for someone like me the penalty for going round is 30 min max an hour and its more enjoyable so I will always go round unless they give a fierce headwind on the plateau.

You must just remember there is a big difference between racing and touring, my brother always race me in the ground when I'm touring the Sani, but it's a big different story when we're racing the Freedom......

Even I struggle to keep up with Glenn when he is on a SS racing the Freedom........

:unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You must just remember there is a big difference between racing and touring, my brother always race me in the ground when I'm touring the Sani, but it's a big different story when we're racing the Freedom......

Even I struggle to keep up with Glenn when he is on a SS racing the Freedom........

:unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

I know I will never keep up with Glenn. I meant the time penalty for myself compared to me  hiking lehana's going round or over. An that bit of a gain in hiking i will loose in sore legs and less motivation afterwards. In any case I want to just tour it, Meryl wants me to race, I just want a lekker early startgroup take pictures and have chats with random people about the weather and my monster bike. Racing it will endure too much pain in the old legs.

Have a look under the rock on the right hand side. Please all put it back and lock it when you have finished :)

Good to know! We  struggled with this one. Ended up taking the wheels off to lighten the load over the fence.

If someone can shuttle me to the entrance of Osseberg I will do it ten times with a smile should be able to get three runs in in a day.

Lehana's you go round I got to the bottom 10 minutes ahead of Glen I got to Rhodes 20 min earlier, ok he might have gone for coffee at Tina Head. No seriously I even made a mistake and went to wide I believe for someone like me the penalty for going round is 30 min max an hour and its more enjoyable so I will always go round unless they give a fierce headwind on the plateau.

... you're missing out. Simple as that.

Obviously you can do what you like but I think everyone should hike Lehana's with a bike at least once. It's too much one of the iconic sections of the Freedom Challenge not to. As for time vs. effort - Di and Steve went up Naude's and arrived at Rhodes two hours after us. Their account of the road conditions wasn't appealing. The hike really isn't that tough. We did have hurricane strength wind that day though.

Obviously you can do what you like but I think everyone should hike Lehana's with a bike at least once. It's too much one of the iconic sections of the Freedom Challenge not to. As for time vs. effort - Di and Steve went up Naude's and arrived at Rhodes two hours after us. Their account of the road conditions wasn't appealing. The hike really isn't that tough. We did have hurricane strength wind that day though.

I rode the long route so not the narrative but went for the green line on the map. I actually went too far so still a longer way around. I found good gravel road and then a short hike to the plateau. On the plateau I quickly found some good rolling cattle tracks that took me all the way to Philipsrust with minimal walking. Philipsrust is a very good road.

Naude's neck road is just another gravel road the state is not that bad. Its quite steep though in the last k's and the howling wind took me of the bike 3 times.

For me its more a sensible choice, I know that if I have to walk hike 4-5 hours up Lehana's my legs will be sore for two three days from that. So its more of a sensible choice to not do it if possible allowed. I need to take my left shoulder into account as well, I crashed that one stukkend just over ten years ago, I came out of physio only two years after and it ended my racing career and aspirations sadly forever, I still have some limitations in movement and considerable less strength in it(ten years on I still can't cut my meat with my left hand while eating), even if my bike was only ten Kg I would most likely have to take it easy on the lifting. Everyone has his/her own strengths and limitations.

In the Ride to Rhodes it was mainly cos i had a very bad day to Vuvu I didn't want to be a burden on the group feeling not to great and then having to carry(need help) my monster bike up there. I rather suffer alone. And then I had such a pleasant ride on the detour that it just appeals to go back around. But then I found the Osseberg pleasant as wel and wouldn't mind doing that a couple of times whilst most just want to drive a russian thank through there..

Sorry to hear about the shoulder issue. I had some nerve damage on my left hand during this year's RASA coming in to Kraanskop. Mostly recovered but one finger is still a bit tingly. It was freaky though - the had was quite useless for a few days - I couldn't even use cutlery or open bottles. Fortunately I could still use the brakes though otherwise it may have been a real problem. But you're making it through Osseberg with no problem so you're obviously doing something right. I remember it taking a fair amount of muscle to get through some of the reed beds.

Watch this spot, we'll see the Crazy German with his Russian tank paving the road for us next year....

Now I only need to secure a sponsor for my rough sleepy tour, then I can watch Lehana & the Crazy German.....

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Sorry to hear about the shoulder issue. I had some nerve damage on my left hand during this year's RASA coming in to Kraanskop. Mostly recovered but one finger is still a bit tingly. It was freaky though - the had was quite useless for a few days - I couldn't even use cutlery or open bottles. Fortunately I could still use the brakes though otherwise it may have been a real problem. But you're making it through Osseberg with no problem so you're obviously doing something right. I remember it taking a fair amount of muscle to get through some of the reed beds.

I believe for the reed a good eye and technique is key.

Most important look for tracks of riders or animals crossing there the reed is weaker and less dense.

Look from higher up to spot where reed is less wide/dense or for streams through the reed that you can follow.

Don't blindly barge throughmost likely you handlebars get stuck get them higher(bike on back wheel in dense sections) so that the are above or at the more flexible tops of reed.

Then advantages I have I am tall and heavy so I can use my body weight to bend/break the reed. Fatbikes float well even standing up in the water so when the reed is in the water the bike will be higher up and easier to push than forcing it through the dense bases of the reed.

Obviously there might be more better tricks from more experienced riders but that's what I picked up.

Watch this spot, we'll see the Crazy German with his Russian tank paving the road for us next year....

Now I only need to secure a sponsor for my rough sleepy tour, then I can watch Lehana & the Crazy German.....

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Maybe we should get a fatbike tandem. You can get the navigator back seat and a russian flame thrower to take revenge on the bushes. I wil just aim straight ahead.

Maybe we should get a fatbike tandem. You can get the navigator back seat and a russian flame thrower to take revenge on the bushes. I wil just aim straight ahead.

Got a proper Freedom Challenge tandem with 2.5 tyres, nearly fatbike style, had to carry it on my own a couple a times during the 2013 Freedom. When I do a Freedom tandem again it will be on that bike and I will need a V12 powerhouse to power us on the bike in exchange for the times that I'll be carry the bomber..... 

Still looking for that elusive powerhouse, might have lined him up for the 2016 tandem Freedom Challenge, he has got unfinished business to attend to in 2015. If not available I might take the Commander and get the boere trein in working order again........

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Heard that Johann Rissik had to assist the Crazy German, something about Osseberg eating his shoe's, maybe the Crazy German enjoyed the swimming to much.... 

Got a proper Freedom Challenge tandem with 2.5 tyres, nearly fatbike style, had to carry it on my own a couple a times during the 2013 Freedom. When I do a Freedom tandem again it will be on that bike and I will need a V12 powerhouse to power us on the bike in exchange for the times that I'll be carry the bomber..... 

Still looking for that elusive powerhouse, might have lined him up for the 2016 tandem Freedom Challenge, he has got unfinished business to attend to in 2015. If not available I might take the Commander and get the boere trein in working order again........

ek is net a V6 stupid power jammer. My V12 days are long gone and only distant memories for some old people.

Heard that Johann Rissik had to assist the Crazy German, something about Osseberg eating his shoe's, maybe the Crazy German enjoyed the swimming to much.... 

Jip my only one month old MT53 shimanos came loose on the soals. Had to race my back up carbon fiber shoes this week. My feet didn't like it massive pressure points. Not enough movability for the cleats. Drilled the old ones out and made some adaptor plates with sheet metal; result some fatbike low flying.

Today looks like a wet day daai dikwiel gaan mos rerereg a k*k bike wees in die mud. So I might have to walk half eaten mt53 on tie raps today. As even with bodge plates Carbon fiber doesn't do much walking.

Jip my only one month old MT53 shimanos came loose on the soals. 

Ja that's a common problem on the Freedom Challenge with any of the rubber sole shoe's.

What happens is that mud and grime enter at the cleat cut out between the rubber sole and the plastic inner sole. The more mud and grime that enter the more cracks in the rubber sole, eventually the whole rubber sole will come loose from the plastic inner sole.

The Fix :

• When the shoe's are still new, before any riding has been done, put some proper glue on the edges of the cleat cut where the rubber outer sole and the plastic inner sole meet.
  • Fit your cleats, take the new shoes for a spin and make sure you are happy with the cleats position.
  • Now fill up the gaps between the rubber sole and your cleat with tekkie saver, make sure that you have got enough cleat movement to clip on and off.
  • Problem solved !!!

Archived