Iphone 5 as a training app

Does anyone use the Iphone as a training tool, my wife saw a video on YouTube where a Iphone 5 is mounted on the bike and is linked to a heart and cadence sensor, and the phone has a app that has a actual "coach" with target figures that you have to reach and maintain.... I'd love to hear what you think of this and if anyone is using this system, she loves her training but is scared of training on the road, so she sits on the indoor trainer but gets bored after half an hour, so I think this would motivate her more. Where can I get more info on this system...

Thanks in advance...

Hey Super J, I use the Polar app on my Iphone 5. You can buy all the sensors from the agents in Midrand and when I use it, it works very well.

OK, explain a little, so you can down load a POLAR app and then use a standard POLAR heart strap that the phone actually picks up and registers, or do you mean you down load the data from the POLAR Head unit. She has the CS200 Polar set up but dont really enjoy it. So you mean she can take away the Polar CS200 Head unit and the Iphone will sync to the POLAR Cadence and speed and heart sensor, and she can run it through the app? Thanks Quincy !!

When I used to run I used the Adi micoach app that used to shout at me to hit certain zones.

Not sure if it will work for her cycling, just a though though.

I'v got the CS300 watch, the sensors aren't compatible with the phone. You have to go out and buy the Polar Bluetooth Heart Rate Sensor and I'm not to sure about the cadence sensor.

The Phone acts ass the computer, It uses the built in GPS for speed and map, it links via blue tooth for any other functions you want, but you have to buy the sensors.

When you download the app it gives you all the goodies you need to buy to make it function properly.

Edited by Quincy

Actually just looked at the cycling app that I use, and if u connect bluetooth sensors you can set target zones etc.post-49286-1404715774,7904.jpgpost-49286-1404715786,6778.jpg

Edit: it also has voice feedback/coaching.

Runtastic Mountain Bike App

Edited by Raydek

ok, so she'll need POLAR blue tooth sensors, or does Iphone make a heart strap, like the runners uses.....?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate this....

Below are some links for bluetooth items that will work with the app I described, you can go cheaper on ebay or the app specific ones from their store, pricier.

If you want them quicker than waiting for the shipping, the Sweatshop (few branches in major cities) stock the Runtastic stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item20e4f44b54

http://www.ebay.com/...=item5663fb6ac8

https://www.runtasti...-cadence-sensor

https://www.runtasti...rt-rate-monitor

Edited by Raydek

ok, so she'll need POLAR blue tooth sensors, or does Iphone make a heart strap, like the runners uses.....?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate this....

I'm not sure about the Iphone heart strap, but yes, shell have to get the POLAR blue tooth sensors.

Hi Super J

I am in the market for a similar product and narrowed it down to getting the Wahoo Fitness brand. http://wahoofitness.co.za/shop/android/wahoo-blue-sc-speed-and-cadence-sensor/

They do HRM and speed/cadence pickups.

The only reason I haven't bought yet is the product is expensive in SA and will have a mate bring me some from Europe in a few weeks.

Is there anyone using Wahoo Fitness who can provide reviews? Yes, I have looked at DC Rainmaker & coy (all very good).

P.S. What I think will be cool is linking up my iPad on a stand next to my IDT and then getting data into other apps.

Not keen to have my phone displayed on my handlebars and will use the repeater.

P.S. What I think will be cool is linking up my iPad on a stand next to my IDT and then getting data into other apps.

Not keen to have my phone displayed on my handlebars and will use the repeater.

I am doing that currently...with virtual training app....awesome kit.

Phone(free) and tablet($5.99 / month) editions sync to the cloud...strava and training peaks were my flavours of choice

Thanks Guys, I just phoned POLAR and they have the H7 Bluetooth sensor and Wahoo also have a nice one, I went to a I store and they dont have a specific Apple brand, they do have a list of compatible brands,going to see if I can pick up a unwanted unit, if not, buy my wife one... Happy wife = happy life!

ok,wait.... next stupid question..... Are these bluetooth heart sensors coded, or app specific? so if I get a H7 POLAR, can it only sync with the POLAR apps? Do you get a universal type that can be used with a few different Apps? Man, where are the days of no technology, when power training was Hekpoort in 53/12, and intervals was around the block with the neighbors gate open and the bull terrier roaming......

The Phone acts ass the computer

*chuckle, chuckle* ... He said "ass".

Seriously, look at the wahoo products. All Bluetooth compatible with iphone. Includes heart rate sensors and cadence sensors. There is an new add-on (I think it is called an "extender" or something like that) which looks like a bike computer and displays certain info from your iPhone incl heart rate and cadence. That way you can keep you iPhone in you camelback or pocket but still see the readings on the extender display.

They can talk to the wahoo app or any other training app you might want to try out (there are many).

I personally use mine with Strava.