Review: Helmet shootout Part 1 - Bell Super, POC Trabec Race, 661 EVO AM

Claudio

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wore the 661 on a couple of runs this weekend. I am very impressed with overall fit and feel and attention to detail. The magnetic chin strap works as advertised, helmet provides good cover and looks the business.

Where you get it from?

I got it from BTO sports in the US. My sister lives there, so she sent it to me.

As for the lid... after my first ride, and compared to 2 other trail helmets I own (Fox Flux and MET Terra) this is what I can say...

• Very comfy (I found the flux rather uncomfortable on my knoggin)
  • Sits sturdy on the head (doesn't move around, when with straps undone)
  • good head coverage. (better than both the flux and Terra)
  • looks awesome (well I think so)

Dislikes:

Hard to say after just 1 ride, but these are things I noticed:

• heavier than MET Terra (but it is a full on AM lid, vs a light trail lid, so expected)
  • could get a bit warm (but again, comparing a light trail lid to an AM lid. The A1 covers way more on the forehead so I think that's where it felt "warmer", but it probably just takes getting used to)
  • No built-in GoPro mount (which seems to be a standard feature on today's upper end AM lids. It does however have a central area where a 3M slicky mount could be placed).

But all in all, I'm very happy. Lets just hope that I don't have to test its potective properties anytime soon :ph34r:

Guest Omega Man

I've got a Bell Super and I've got to say for the price there are some things that could be done better. I'm on my 2nd one. On the first one the velcro mounts for the gopro peeled off in weeks. When the same thing started happening on the 2nd one i drilled some holes in the mounts and bust out the cable ties.

I've got a Bell Super and I've got to say for the price there are some things that could be done better. I'm on my 2nd one. On the first one the velcro mounts for the gopro peeled off in weeks. When the same thing started happening on the 2nd one i drilled some holes in the mounts and bust out the cable ties.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/do-not-want-guy.jpg

I find it hard enough to put my trust in those super sticky 3M mounts. But velcro... even if it doesn't fall off, surely it develops some play over time, creating the need to retension the velcro inner strapping periodically?!

I jimmied my full face a bit to fit a GoPro under the peak (saw a pic of Aaron Chase with a GoPro under a D3 peak on the POTD thread), I figured that if possible, that is the best place for a helmet mount GoPro. Lowers the centre of gravity. more protected from overhead obstacles. More accurate filming angle. And in my opinion, less of an eyesore.

I still have the top mount I placed on the helmet way back when... and it may come in handy when filming reverse angles... but it's unlikely I'll use both at once... my neck is nowhere near strong enough :lol:

post-10758-0-73949600-1406005409_thumb.jpg

Edited by patches

Guest Omega Man

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/do-not-want-guy.jpg

I find it hard enough to put my trust in those super sticky 3M mounts. But velcro... even if it doesn't fall off, surely it develops some play over time, creating the need to retension the velcro inner strapping periodically?!

I jimmied my full face a bit to fit a GoPro under the peak (saw a pic of Aaron Chase with a GoPro under a D3 peak on the POTD thread), I figured that if possible, that is the best place for a helmet mount GoPro. Lowers the centre of gravity. more protected from overhead obstacles. More accurate filming angle. And in my opinion, less of an eyesore.

I still have the top mount I placed on the helmet way back when... and it may come in handy when filming reverse angles... but it's unlikely I'll use both at once... my neck is nowhere near strong enough :lol:

post-10758-0-73949600-1406005409_thumb.jpg

I've tried the same with my Airoh but connected to the peak. Without success.

Ja with the Super you can feel it clicking around on the top of your scone when the gopro works its way loose. Then you've got to re tension it. The zip tie solution sorted that all out but now the mount is a permanent feature on the helmet meaning i've lost some airflow.

For a helmet at that price point it's a pretty shitty solution IMO.

I've tried the same with my Airoh but connected to the peak. Without success.

Ja with the Super you can feel it clicking around on the top of your scone when the gopro works its way loose. Then you've got to re tension it. The zip tie solution sorted that all out but now the mount is a permanent feature on the helmet meaning i've lost some airflow.

For a helmet at that price point it's a pretty shitty solution IMO.

I had the same thing on all three of my Super's I have had this year, I found the little bits of velcro that hold the padding in also dont stay where they should for very long... I have given up on the helmet mount on the Super, poor form for something they list as a feature!

I had the same thing on all three of my Super's I have had this year, I found the little bits of velcro that hold the padding in also dont stay where they should for very long... I have given up on the helmet mount on the Super, poor form for something they list as a feature!

I think until you can stop crashing on your head, this might be more your style :P

http://www.asmc.de/images/product_images/popup_images/110807_0.jpg

I think until you can stop crashing on your head, this might be more your style :P

http://www.asmc.de/images/product_images/popup_images/110807_0.jpg

In my defence, two of the three lids were replaced due to issues with the lids and only the third one is due for a crash replacement after the Giba enduro almost two weeks ago.

I will be using my full face lid until I can warranty my Super on payday, I might just keep using the full face when I have a new AM lid tho :ph34r:

In my defence, two of the three lids were replaced due to issues with the lids and only the third one is due for a crash replacement after the Giba enduro almost two weeks ago.

I will be using my full face lid until I can warranty my Super on payday, I might just keep using the full face when I have a new AM lid tho :ph34r:

aaah ok...

but in that case, not a good advert for Bell.

Guest Omega Man

Ja. I ONE MILLION percent agree with you. The most annoying thing about the helmet is marketed as a feature. The Bell Full 9 DH lid has a mount that clips in just behind the peak. Much better solution.

But the 3 Bell Supers aren't the only lids you've had to replace in the short time I've known you...

But the 3 Bell Supers aren't the only lids you've had to replace in the short time I've known you...

Yet I have two fully functioning arms :whistling:

Yet I have two fully functioning arms :whistling:

Haha. Ja, it's getting there.

Are you implying that your head isn't functioning properly? :ph34r: