Four Bike Options!

Bman001

Got my wife a Silverback Sola 4 a couple of months ago and she is really impressed with it (compared to her old 26er with v-brakes). I expect she will be happy with the bike for years to come, luckily she is not very competitive.

The 8 speed drive train is very dependable and cheap to maintain, but I think the jump between the biggest two cogs is a bit big (jumps from 26 to 34 where 28 to 32 is a lot better, but the 34 is needed for the bigger wheels). The front chain rings is a bit of a mission to clean properly because they cannot be removed from the crank arm. If you are looking at something with a bit of a better drivetrain the Sola 3 is a very good option (solving the above issues) but its price is at least R1800 more (but this buys a better 9 speed drive train and fork).

You should be able to get the bike for a good price like the Titan.

Got my wife a Silverback Sola 4 a couple of months ago and she is really impressed with it (compared to her old 26er with v-brakes). I expect she will be happy with the bike for years to come, luckily she is not very competitive.

The 8 speed drive train is very dependable and cheap to maintain, but I think the jump between the biggest two cogs is a bit big (jumps from 26 to 34 where 28 to 32 is a lot better, but the 34 is needed for the bigger wheels). The front chain rings is a bit of a mission to clean properly because they cannot be removed from the crank arm. If you are looking at something with a bit of a better drivetrain the Sola 3 is a very good option (solving the above issues) but its price is at least R1800 more (but this buys a better 9 speed drive train and fork).

You should be able to get the bike for a good price like the Titan.

Bought my son a Sola 4, very nice entry level bike. I am slowly buying SLX bits off the hub classifieds to upgrade as the originals wear out. Its a tough bike, he is a big lad (6ft2) and he rides hard, I think it is a good buy.

Thanks everyone for the advice. It's great to hear how others are finding the bike. Luckily I'm not nearly as big as 6ft2, so it should then be tough enough for me too!

The 8 speed drive train is very dependable and cheap to maintain, but I think the jump between the biggest two cogs is a bit big

Would the big jump between the two cogs possibly result in an increased tendency for the chain to slip off when going uphill if I don't change the gears correctly?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that I bought the Silverback Sola 4 this last weekend. The bad news is that the front wheel buckled as I rode the bike around in the Tokai forest carpark!? I'm not a big guy, I weigh 72kg and I didn't do anything out of the ordinary when riding the bike

I took the wheel back to Cycle Lab and they want to charge me for a new wheel as it is too buckled to repair. Should I accept this or should I insist that they replace the rim? I'm very disappointed with Cycle Lab...

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and am new to mountain biking! I am looking to buy an entry level mountain bike within the R5000 to R8000 range - so any advice would be appreciated.

I am currently considering four possible options:

• Silverback Sola 4 (R7000)
  • Titan Sport (R6700)
  • Momsen AL029 (R6000)
  • Momsen AL129 (R7400)

If you could recommend a bike and in a short sentence (or few sentences) explain why you would choose one bike over the others, that would be much appreciated.

Here are some links for the bike specs:

http://www.silverbac...CK/sola4_14.htm

http://www.titanraci...m/29rsport.html

http://www.momsenbik...kes/29-er/al029

http://www.momsenbik...kes/29-er/al129

Pop in at Cycle Factory in Montague Gardens or phone them on (021) 552 8285. Speak to Pieter.

Hi Everyone

I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that I bought the Silverback Sola 4 this last weekend. The bad news is that the front wheel buckled as I rode the bike around in the Tokai forest carpark!? I'm not a big guy, I weigh 72kg and I didn't do anything out of the ordinary when riding the bike

I took the wheel back to Cycle Lab and they want to charge me for a new wheel as it is too buckled to repair. Should I accept this or should I insist that they replace the rim? I'm very disappointed with Cycle Lab...

Maybe post a pic....can't see how that would happen so quickly.

Unfortunately I don't have a picture as both the wheels are at Cycle Lab at the moment. The back wheel is slightly buckled but can be "fixed" by adjusting the spoke tension. It's the front wheel that is too buckled and needs to be replaced.

Are the wheels on the Silverback cheap/weak or was I just very unlucky? The only reason I can think of is that the wheel must have been buckled when I bought it, as riding around the car park could not have caused any damage...

You could also try Bridge Cycles or Olympic - they have stuff at discount rates sitting on the floor or across the road.

Unfortunately I don't have a picture as both the wheels are at Cycle Lab at the moment. The back wheel is slightly buckled but can be "fixed" by adjusting the spoke tension. It's the front wheel that is too buckled and needs to be replaced.

Are the wheels on the Silverback cheap/weak or was I just very unlucky? The only reason I can think of is that the wheel must have been buckled when I bought it, as riding around the car park could not have caused any damage...

I would request a new wheelset, or discount on an upgraded wheelset. It does not bode well that both wheels failed from riding in the car park.