ABSA Cape Epic 2015

Sarnicoview

So, entry paid, training commenced, but now for the nitty gritty. Apparently it is well worth the extra moola to hire a campervan and have a masseuse drive the camper from village to village? Any suggestions? Or volunteers?

So, entry paid, training commenced, but now for the nitty gritty. Apparently it is well worth the extra moola to hire a campervan and have a masseuse drive the camper from village to village? Any suggestions? Or volunteers?

Don't be a pansie, stay in the tent like the plebs :ph34r:

Funny... that's what I said... but partner argues that the tents are 1 man... not the luxury 4 man shared by 2 Sani2c version... and it gets very wet?

Funny... that's what I said... but partner argues that the tents are 1 man... not the luxury 4 man shared by 2 Sani2c version... and it gets very wet?

Funny .... that the Epic tents are leaky, one would expect better for you well earned ZAR entry fee

depends what the masseuse looks like....

If you can afford it - do it.

My experience from this years Cape Epic:

I found the Cape Epic provided massages very good and absolutely necessary. So no shortcut on massages - you'll need them. Don't know if a personal masseuse can be of more benefit...

The provided Cape Epic bag was an absolute joke. Way too small to carry substantial equipment. I was being my own mechanic - so with some tools, spare parts, personal nutrition and a sleeping bag there was not much room left for anything else. If they don't improve on that part I think it's impossible to do the Epic without a private support vehicle.

Also - next Epic I would buy a mechanic package...

Sleeping in the tents was not a problem - but I consider a height of 1.90m the threshold of sleeping comfortably... :-)

If you are a light sleeper maybe the tented village is not for you. Lots of chitter chatter and snoring.

Hope that info was helpful

It rained like the clappers in Robertson this year and we slept dry the whole time. Ja sure, the tents are small, but if you want a luxury holiday, go to mauritius.

It rained like the clappers in Robertson this year and we slept dry the whole time. Ja sure, the tents are small, but if you want a luxury holiday, go to mauritius.

Not for sissies anyway... :ph34r:

If you can afford it I'm sure it will be nicer than a tent. I agree that the bag is to small for a 7/8 day stage race.

However, I had no issues sleeping in the tent.

Always taken mechanic packages at other events... wouldn't consider doing otherwise. Nutrition is usually awesome at these events... reading the fab Tread mag edition ... a fair amount of peeps chose to NOT spend ALL 8 nights in the race village, for various reasons. My angle is more towards; get a masseuse to be your RAH! RAH! support, and drive the campervan... am I being a sissie? No holds barred here.

same situation here - not started training though :eek: maybe we can share masseuse?

The masseuse is not really my worry here. Rather the sleep deprivation. The idea is that a volunteer drives the campervan, so that we, the royal athletes, sleep well overnight, and he/she, the volunteer enjoys the vibe. I am obviously not a Munga candidate!!

i am with you there

The masseuse is not really my worry here. Rather the sleep deprivation. The idea is that a volunteer drives the campervan, so that we, the royal athletes, sleep well overnight, and he/she, the volunteer enjoys the vibe. I am obviously not a Munga candidate!!

i am with you there!

Edited by zuludog

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys ... campervan taken already

Who wants a campervan for the 2015 Epic?

Not sure if you've tried getting your hands on a Campervan for the 2015 Epic at a reasonable price, but they are very scarce. If you can find one then companies have generally doubled the fee to about R25,000.

In my quest to get a campervan I eventually booked 2 and am only taking 1.

Dates: Sat 15th March to Sun 22nd March

Campervan: Kea 4 berth with toilet, shower etc.

Pickup and dropoff: Close to Cape Town Int Airport

Price R10,500 (729 Euro's). I've already paid a deposit of R1,350 (95 Euro's) which you'd pay me to take over the booking.

Booking was made through www.motorhomebookers.com

First come first serve.

Cheers

Jan

Edited by jtukker