[Event] Magoebaskloof MTB Classic

Steve101

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome pics guys.Anyone have any idea how many riders there were in total?

Maybe less than three cattle batch pens at any Nissan Advendurance event.......

Friend and I did sections of the route where no other riders were visible.......almost felt like you weren't part of an event, but rather out on a ride in the countryside.

Looks like 261 in total. Was my 1st time doing the race I did the 40km and was awesome- great route, great water points, friendly folk, amazing scenery, and well organised. Well done I really had a good time and will be back next year!

Hey All

Really enjoyed the race, suffered but was good.  I thought I was stronger ;-) but not sure what happened.  On the day just not strong enough for those conditions or environment.  I'm just glad I finished.  Had a quick chat to BarHugger and RoneBlack46 before the race, good to meet you guys.  Until next year.

Looks like 261 in total. Was my 1st time doing the race I did the 40km and was awesome- great route, great water points, friendly folk, amazing scenery, and well organised. Well done I really had a good time and will be back next year!

Would love to know how many did not finish the 80k, I was having a beer with the locals and 16:00 there were still 3 riders en route. I see they were not listed as finishers.

My advice to anyone contemplating doing this race you better be fit, as not even the scenery is going to save you. However, if you are fit it is simply awesome.

On a side note anyone know anything about the 40k winner Komo Bere ? He was the only 40k rider to catch me an he was flying and looking at the 15min winning margin he was in a class of his own. Under 17 Nogal!

I really enjoyed the race, the legs took time to wake up and get warm.  Took the 1st 40km easy and finished strong.  

Almost killed myself at the last 3 arrow section though.... The other 3 arrows sections wasnt really bad so when I saw another one I just thought its the same as the others... man, likely I have good brakes and managed to stay out of the drink, but it was CLOSE!!!

@doeffels, LOL I did the same.  I ended up going straight on that corner as was just carrying way to much speed  was also very lucky to stop in time

@doeffels, LOL I did the same.  I ended up going straight on that corner as was just carrying way to much speed  was also very lucky to stop in time

there was a lot of brake marks overshooting that corner...

there was a lot of brake marks overshooting that corner...

......and the one guy was not that lucky. Was apparently his first race there......hammered it down the nice road......most probably missed the three arrows........made the first corner and kept on going straight into that (small) gorge.

Serious injuries.

I really enjoyed the race, the legs took time to wake up and get warm.  Took the 1st 40km easy and finished strong.  

Almost killed myself at the last 3 arrow section though.... The other 3 arrows sections wasnt really bad so when I saw another one I just thought its the same as the others... man, likely I have good brakes and managed to stay out of the drink, but it was CLOSE!!!

I got to that section and overtook a lady just at the crest of that downhill and also overshot that bend. Ended up having to carry my bike half way up that climb :) The lady said to me when I got back to the corner "Would I mind if she carried on otherwise she would have fallen off if she stopped"  :clap:

Would love to know how many did not finish the 80k, I was having a beer with the locals and 16:00 there were still 3 riders en route. I see they were not listed as finishers.

Those three were part of our crew. Two were on singlespeeds (husband & wife) and the other lady has only been riding for 4 months. I was super impressed with all of them. I think there time was like 8:40!!

Those three were part of our crew. Two were on singlespeeds (husband & wife) and the other lady has only been riding for 4 months. I was super impressed with all of them. I think there time was like 8:40!!

Hats off to them! I think the lady with geared bike was called Kelly, if it was,I chatted to her briefly and she'll be so chuffed that she finished.

Hats off to them! I think the lady with geared bike was called Kelly, if it was,I chatted to her briefly and she'll be so chuffed that she finished.

That was her, KellyKazi! 

Anyone know how the magoebas race is compared to the one in Sabie next year Feb (National MTB Series)?Wanna do that one as well.

Anyone know how the magoebas race is compared to the one in Sabie next year Feb (National MTB Series)?Wanna do that one as well.

Doing Sabie Experience in December (13-16).......maybe not the same route but will post.....apparently also a bit muddy.

Sabie is tougher, with longer and steeper climbs including the Mamba. Downhills are also generally rougher as well including the Rocky Horror.

Archived