Jonkershoek

ProSport

My wife and I are newbies in the sport of MTB. We want to ride Jonkers for the first time today. what are the different routes? is there a beginners one and are the routes marked clearly? anyone else going today?

My wife and I are newbies in the sport of MTB. We want to ride Jonkers for the first time today. what are the different routes? is there a beginners one and are the routes marked clearly? anyone else going today?

Jonkers is a amazing place to ride even for the not so fit. The best is to get a map at the entrance to see all trails. The trail at the bottom which does a loop back to the start is best for both of you and totals around 12km if i remember correctly but dont think its easy, its a false flat and easily drains the energy. There are many other routes to contours and single track available but be ready for a work out to get there. The result however is breath taking views! Entry is R25 pp if you didnt know that already

so we did the loop yesterday. the pace was quite pedestrian, the scenery breathtaking and we hardly even broke a sweat. cant wait to get back there with a bigger group and push a bit harder.

..and then duck into the trails, that's where the real fun starts! :thumbup:

BUT, I'd advise to take somebody familiar with the trails with the first time you attempt it to guide on which should be rideable and which will be a bit hectic. Nothing more demoralising than having to walk half the trail.

Good on you both, get out there, learn and grow your abilities.

• 3 weeks later...

After you get sick of the circle route the best options for the easy single track are lower canary which is pretty close to gate (both up and down), and then the single track through the recently felled/cleared area up on the right hand side (same climb as for the fire trails, but this links back down to circle route and is bidirectional too) - not sure of name though.

never ending story is fun and not too hard either, but its not in best condition at the moment after winter rains and rides pretty bumpy. it also has a resident caracal who is pretty chill.