Strava + Heartrate

Cappi

hi, anyone out there using strava on their smart phones linked with a heartrate belt. ( no garmin)

what type of heartrate belt u using? is it BLE= bluetooth low energy or Ant+. specificall interested in BLE.

got the new S5 mini. it has BLE so thinking of getting the belt.

thanks

haven't been able to pair Strava with my garmin HRM, but the native SHealth picks it up. Not sure if I'm not doing anything wrong or whether strava needs an update. IPBike is an ANT+ compatible app that will pair. SHealth isn't that great and I haven't found a way to export GPX yet either, somewhat limiting.

My bro just got the Wahoo heart rate monitor. Works with smartphone (iphone, don't know about saamsing), garmin, gps watch etc, apparently. wahoofitness.co.za

I've looked into the same thing 3 weeks ago. I bought the Polar H7 monitor because it was a deal I could not pass up, once off. I'm very happy though, I use the polar app on my iPhone to record my excercise. I then export the file from there into strava. Works very well.

If I did not get the Polar monitor I would have gone the Wahoo route. The Wahoo monitor is compatible with almost 90% of all apps, like Polar, strava etc.

Polar is a bit more pricey though @R999+ vs between R799-899 for the Wahoo. Make sure to get the NEW Wahoo monitor if you do decide to go that route.

On battery drain, I used 15% of battery power recording a 2.5hr long cycle, including taking calls and sending a mail or two, happens if you cycle in work time.

Hope this helps,

Warnich

I used pair the Garmin HR with a little ANT+ device that plugs in the bottom of your phone. Worked a charm.... But the phones don't last long enough. Get a bike specific device.

I got at Polar Bluetooth strap which I pair with a Galaxy SII. I'm not happy with it. It often stops working half way through a ride.

I would suggest getting a Ant+ heart rate monitor, so that if you decide to upgrade to a Garmin/SRM etc. you can keep the heart rate monitor. Going the bluetooth option prevents this.

thanks for the replies. i just got the S5 mini it has bluetooth 4 LE. i always use strava. was thinking of getting a garmin 510. but that means spending another R4500. i also always take my fone with. So i was comparing what the garmin gives me compared to what strava offers, stats wise. i already have a Sigma ROX 9 on the bike which works great with heartrate. just wanna know the pros and cons......

so i was just toying with the idea of getting the belt for strava......

regards

I have the wahoo heart rate monitor too. Bluetooth LE, drains very little battery and lasts months on a tiny watch battery. Syncs well with strava and endomondo.

I could be wrong thought i read somewhere recently that new samsung phones are ant+ enabled. Perhaps check it out-might widen your options?

hi, cpt armpies. rondebosch doesnt stock it. lol.

@ryinc only the normal S5 has ant+ not the mini.

i called my LBS they have a sigma belt. gonna check it out. else i will maybe settle for the Runtastic belt.

thanks for the replies.

hi, cpt armpies. rondebosch doesnt stock it. lol.

@ryinc only the normal S5 has ant+ not the mini.

i called my LBS they have a sigma belt. gonna check it out. else i will maybe settle for the Runtastic belt.

thanks for the replies.

Must have been a bad day

Archived