Specialized steering tube lenght?

Guest Smimby

Can someone please tell me why manufacturers cut steerer tube so short...

Is the max not 4 cm from top of HT to top of steerer....I mean why do they decide how much saddle - handle bar drop I MUST have?

Why not ship it at max and the client can decide?

I though they did (ship at max) and then the shop / assembler cuts it down.

Are you taking about Spez specifically or all manufacturers?

You can probably get a steerer tube extender if you need the adjustment; post amputation off course...

Mostly specialized....they arrive with about 15mm from headset to to bottom of stem...pr-cut.

This is the first time that I hear of this...my spez came uncircumsized :thumbup:

I opened the box and it was already cut...........Which year did you buy? I am talking about mtb here

90% of bikes come pre cut to a degree. Generally this still gives a lot of adjustment but I have noticed that Spez have less than most.

As for the reasons, I can only assume less spacers to ship with and most bikes come semi built so because the fork is installed it allows the bike box to be smaller if they cut the steerer. And add that small difference up over thousands of bikes and there is a difference. I think it also makes assembly easier for the shops.