Get Promoted - Ride to work

The Guy in Pink

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02769/andrewcritchlow-60_2769386j.jpg

By Andrew Critchlow

9:10AM BST 04 Sep 2014

Follow

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/template/ver1-0/i/share/comments.gif14 Comments

So it's now official. Cycling is the new golf when it comes to getting a promotion in the workplace.

New research of over 2,500 cyclists and 100 employers carried out for Cyclescheme.co.uk has found that workers who commute by bike are more productive, more focussed and even feel more likely to get promoted than their colleagues.

82pc of those surveyed said they felt less stressed after cycling to or from work, while over half said commuting by bike made them feel more productive. Benefits were also seen by employers, with 63pc saying initiatives to get people on their bikes were improving their business.

The release of the survey coincides with Cycle to Work Day, an initiative established two years ago to encourage more people to commute and take up cycling as a recreational activity.

Not sure about the less stressed.....

Getting to work by bike in Cape Town can be prretty stressfull ..... Dependign of course on your route and cycle lane availability.

I have being commuting by bike to work a few days a week since Dec 2010.

While most of my colleagues/cycling friends express wonderment/envy/etc not one of them has being convinced to try do the same.

And I have not been promoted either - just transferred to another town

Would love to cycle to work. Only about 16kms one way. Problem is I have a daughter that I take to Creche. One day when I am bigger..... :(

Cycling to work happens in 1st world countries where they have respect for all road users. Don't try it here. :huh:

Not sure about the less stressed.....

Getting to work by bike in Cape Town can be prretty stressfull ..... Dependign of course on your route and cycle lane availability.

Thankfully I have a cycle lane most of the way ... took the car to work for day no. 3 this year the day before yesterday and really really hated it ... .and hate is a strong word!

Would love to cycle to work. Only about 16kms one way. Problem is I have a daughter that I take to Creche. One day when I am bigger..... :(

There is a guy in Table View who takes his kids to school, youngest on the top tube in a chair / seat contraption and the eldest on a trailer type of system. He makes it look easy.

Then there is another guy who takes his kid to the German school (reason why I stipulate this, is the climb to the German school from the bottom of town is not child's play) and back again during the day.