Fixie Hub

Beast Tech

It's going to be my first fixie, so it's a big learning curve. Don't plan on playing in traffic, just ride around the neighbourhood and start getting my confidence up, so probably a front break will go on in the start.

So what Hub would you suggest? Looking at the flip flop hubs which are ideal but to source locally at a good price may be difficult.

Go and chat to the chaps at Hunter cycling in Braamfontein - you pretty much have to go there....

• 2 weeks later...

Go for a Novatec track hub (fixed fixed) includes lockrings and 1 or 2 cogs usually, Hunter Cycles should have in stock but let me know if you can't get one.  They're equivalent to the Planet X On One hub.  Or that said simply order a Planet X On One hub.  Bear in mind you still need spokes and someone to build your wheel so figure that into your budget as well.

Either of those options should be around about your budget.

As for lockrings, you only need one if you are intending to ride brakeless and so use your pedals and rear wheel as your brake.  But I would strongly advise fitting a front brake until you are confident at skid stopping. 

Fixie Cog - always ride with lock-ring in place, even on track, a lock ring is essential. If you back pedal, without lockring, you are going to get very hurt.

Archived