Blouberg / Table View to Newlands / Rondebosch

GuyOnBike

Table View. I'm not so worried about the km's - more the practicality and general safety of commuting this way.

Alternative is a gym :(

The distance, depending how deep in Tableview you are is about 28km. What time would you ride to be at work? I shower at the gym which is close by also try and prepare so I am not carrying the whole load with to work.

Areas of danger are Woodstock cycle lane problem area, not sure what it is like now but I am very vigilant through there. Albert street is not too bad and you are against traffic but main road is still pretty busy and you need to be alert i look around alot to see what is coming behind me as alot of the time I keep up between traffic lights. I will most often beat the SAB truck to Newlands.  On the mountain there is that hotspot near Groote Schuur, only ridden once so not familiar as to the current situation. In maybe 20 rides I had a person turn in front of me just after passing me and had to slam brakes and avoid, other than that general taxi's pulling off and out from wherever but manageable and a few 1m non compliant idiots, but I stick far left.

Edited by eelvio

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys

Is anyone doing this commute.  I'm pondering a Sunningdale to Southfield commute. I have 2 options.

1) Down the cycle lane to Woodstock and then back along Albert Rd etc.  Mapped on Strava and its 34.5km

2) Along the cycle lane to Section Rd in Paarden Eiland then left towards Koeberg interchange, over there and head to Raapenberg, then back over N1 and left through the suburbs to work.  Mapped on Stava its 32.5km

Distance is pretty much the same I guess I need to decide on taking a chance on the lane near Woodstock or testing traffic through Koeberg/Pinelands...

Will be leaving around 5.15 i think...

Either way you will be looking at some heavy traffic on Raapenberg and Albert Rds.Early morning should be manageable but afternoons are going to be busy.Be safe out there

Re. getting from Albert Road further on towards the Claremont / Rondebosch / Newlands area:

At the River Club you can get onto the Liesbeek Park cycle path. This will bring you to more cycle paths around the Rondebosch Common if heading that way or you can take the Liesbeeck River walk. A mountain bike is best for this. It runs along the river right to the Newlands swimming pool. From there you can take the Claremont Boulevard to bypass Main Road further, or take back roads and paths all the way to Kirstenbosch. All the above will keep you off the streets and mostly out of traffic. It is slower than Main Road, but not all that much id you stop for red traffic lights.

Personally, I find Main Road OKish if you ride real early, say 6 am. That's OK in summer because it is light. I don't like riding it in the dark. In very heavy and crawling peak hour traffic, I find Main Road OK also, because you are going the same speed or faster than the cars. It is the in between time when there is a fair bit of traffic that is going fast, that I hate. I just make myself light up like a flashing Christmas tree of ultimate visibility!