Converting from triathlete to mountain biker

DJuice

I am struggling to convert from triathlete to mountain biker.

Was an age group racer, took off for 24 months, started mountain biking in May of this year.

I am back to my racing weight of 61kg and training 63kg.

The problem(s):

Power, I seem to lack power output at crucial stages and loses momentum.

Gearing, I am searching between gears.

Pedalling stroke, I do not feel smoove, almost like I am stomping at the pedals, to generate more power.

Crank lenght, purchase the bike with 175 cranks, TT bike had 170.

Observation:

In triathlon or TT, would pull a big gear, cycle full circles, get on top of the gear and hold the momentum/gear.

In mountain bike, I am perhaps on too big a gear, do not get over the gear(stomping) and when I need to power, I have just nothing left?

If the roads go up, I am fine, think power to weight and I can get in a rhythm and hold it, but on district corrugated roads, sandy stretches I get left behind, far behind.

Training:

Intervals Tuesday

Steady ride Thursday with short hill repeats

Sat long, race pace, technical, bit of climbing

Sun recovery ride

Between 200 and 230 per week

Mondays and Wednesday, gym and swim

Appreciate all inputs.

YouTube MTB riding tips. smooth even pedal stroke will help you. Mountain biking obviously has a different intensity to what you're used to. Lower gearing, smoother more even pedal stroke is my 2cents. 

Qucik reply;

Dual suspension bikes and decreased tyre pressure are much faster on corrugated roads!

As is decreased tyre pressure on sand.

Mabye decrease your tyre pressure?

very different disciplines obviously, where mtb is more about short sharp VO2 intervals whereas TT is obviously sitting at threshold.

Maybe also consider doing light weights once a week to up lean muscles...

Qucik reply;

Dual suspension bikes and decreased tyre pressure are much faster on corrugated roads!

As is decreased tyre pressure on sand.

Mabye decrease your tyre pressure?

:thumbup:

After working at a race this weekend and teaching skills to lots of people over the years, I can safely say that most riders have tyre pressure set way too hard. It was a mistake I made 12 years ago when I left road for MTB. It has been proven that a more compliant softer pressure rolls faster than hard ove rough surfaces.

:thumbup:

After working at a race this weekend and teaching skills to lots of people over the years, I can safely say that most riders have tyre pressure set way too hard. It was a mistake I made 12 years ago when I left road for MTB. It has been proven that a more compliant softer pressure rolls faster than hard ove rough surfaces.

My 2.1 tubeless tyres dont like running under 2 bar. Im 85 kg...lowest i can go is 1.9 without being all over the show on the ST

My 2.1 tubeless tyres dont like running under 2 bar. Im 85 kg...lowest i can go is 1.9 without being all over the show on the ST

Then you should think about trying a higher volume tyre next time you buy. I'm 97kgs, I ride aggressively and run 2.3s.

just give it time, body must adjust..

what is your tyre pressure?

I am running tyre pressure 1.8 at the back and 1.7 in the front.

Archived