Couriers?

GreyOwl

I am trying to get a bike down to Dylan Keyter in the Cape Town area. I'm in JHB...and I have used DHL in the past, never costing me more than R300-R400.

Now when I went on friday, they want to charge me in excess of R3000.

My mate had the same problem last week as well.

Does anyone know of a courier service that is cheaper, and still decent?

I'd greatly appreciate (as would Dylan) any helpfull info...

GreyOwl.

I use Time Freight for business the service is good and the deliveries are always on time.

Will post the pm you the contact details when I get to work tomorrow.

Grey Owl, if you find David's option to be a viable one, will you please let me know, as I would like to get a bike from PE up here. I've asked a bike shop in Pta, they reckon it's around R1000 and then you still have the risk of it being damaged. Not sure which courier they've used.

R3000? That's insane. That's almost as much as it costs to send 1/2 a ton of copper down to the Cape.

Did they explain why it costs so much?

buy a mango/kalulu/whatever plane ticket, one way. Wont cost more than R 500-00 and the bike is entitled to a seat on the plane!

I had the same issue with DHL 2 weeks ago, had to ship a frame to Durban for repairs and got a quote of R5,200 - I believed there was a major misunderstanding and went into their offices in Isando and got it shipped for R875, being the price for 13kg of stuff. The surprise came when I phoned and said that the repairs in Durban was done, please bring back my frame, and got the R5,200 price again with a professional but firm attitude of "Pay if you want your frame". I had to go to their office, find the same lady, explain, plead etc and ended up settling for the return shipping of R871. It has to do with a volumetric deemed weight (calculated) being used for pricing. BTW, it was not a bike frame but a boat ski frame, fitted by now, ready for Easter weekend. 

Here's a plan: Pay me the R3k and I will deliver it personally. While I'm down there I can have a 2-day holiday and drive back. Easy. I'm sure you could fly down and deliver it yourself for R3k! That's insane man!

Dont you know anyone coming to do the 2 Oceans, maybe they can bring down and there are also all the guys who set up the expo.

Thanks guys...

Its crazy that DHL are asking that amount.

I actually laughed at my mate (DAsh82) last week when he was quoted R3k+ to have a bike sent up from Cape Town! I said "no ways, thats highway robbery"

But when I went the other day it was the same story.

Your not half wrong about flying it down myself for cheaper FanieFiets!! I'm sure that would be cheaper.

But thanks for the advice & the PM's...

Contact Big Mig, he is in that line of business. He is sending my bike down to Ironman for me.

Anyone going down for the 2 Oceans event? Willing to pay to have the bike as your passenger?!

PM me!

Thanks Fees...We did Bikes for the Argus at R500 return, including full use of your own bike box we provide for you. I fully understand where DHL and others are coming from. If you phone any call centre they will quote as per a cash client. To be honest they don't really understand your needs. You pay for the space taken up on the vehicle and basically if your bike wasn't there they could load more mass and hence charge for it. Anyway we still have bike boxes (85 kg volume) left and if anyone needs a bike to any major centre (Economy 3 day service) i will do at R300 incl one way or R600 return. Just contact me.

Been trying to contact Big Mig, or Fees.

Does anyone have a number for Big Mig? Needed urgently...so please PM me if you have it?

Thanks...

don't write off Intercape.  They can take your goods down in their trailers that they take with for luggage.  They don't charge much either and as far as I know you can insure the package as well.

Thanks MbayMike...Will give it a try!

Why does everything have to close over Easter?? I dont get it!!