Epic or Scalpel?

quickdraw

Depends the range (My 2c).

The scalpels are brilliant and they lefty fork is light, stiff and hot! However the heavy Alu Scalpels seem a bit pointless. A scalpel is supposed to be a lightweight, lefty-fitted, zero-pivot rear suspension XC machine, Then the alu models added necessary pivots which just added a ton of weight, making them a bit cumbersome.

So, if carbon: Cannondale all the way.

Lower end: The epic seems a decent build.

I did read something about the new 2015 scalpels being only carbon, but I may be wrong.

I did read something about the new 2015 scalpels being only carbon, but I may be wrong.

Almost correct.

There is an alloy Scalpel 4 ... but that is not available locally.

The alloy bike is called the Rush 29er and there are 3 models ... but the Rush does not have a lefty and is thereby not a Scalpel.

By the way, I would go with the Cannondale anyday, anytime and anywhere!

Test rode both and they were just sublime!

Ended up choosing the Scalpel (despite being a Specialized fan, my road bike is a Tarmac S-Works)

Did J2C on it and what a ride!! Looking forward to Epic 2015.

Nichol, thanks - that type of feedback is exactly what I was looking/ hoping for.

Does flipping the headset on the cannondale change anything else other than the angle?

The bottom bracket will also be a bit higher.

The bottom bracket will also be a bit higher.

See attached image. The manual states the bottom bracket will be lower, this is a printing error and the corrected it at some point.post-41994-0-45482800-1415909321_thumb.jpg

I never quite get the statement that a bike is great but there are too many out there. There are so many because it is such a great bike.

One can just as easily say that wanting a different bike is just as superficial as someone who buys a specialized because of the name. In fact it is worse. People tend to follow the name because they generally make such good bikes.

My Epic is just sublime. I haven't ridden the scalpel but believe it's an awesome machine as well. Test ride both. You can loan out the epic for a day or 2 to get a feel for it. Sure you can do the same with the scalpel.

Buy the bike you prefer not based on who has what out there.

As for the statement that epics are pushed uphill, one area where the epic shines is eating climbs. I don't think anything comes close. But it is a little twitchy downhills where the scalpel probably has an advantage.

Can't speak about the Scalpel but I had a Cannondale Flash. Somehow that bike just did not work for me. But I still love looking at the Dale's. If I had to by, I would rather get the Spez, but purely of the basis that the Flash didn't work for me.

Nichol, thanks - that type of feedback is exactly what I was looking/ hoping for.

Does flipping the headset on the cannondale change anything else other than the angle?

Quickdraw you cannot flip the stem on the new Cannondales. If you want to go negative you will have to get a aftermarket stem.

Quickdraw you cannot flip the stem on the new Cannondales. If you want to go negative you will have to get a aftermarket stem.

Scalpel, no one said anything about flipping the stem, its the headset bearing/headshock spacer that can go either ontop or at the bottom.

Archived