What action camera to buy?

B20

Garmin Virb Elite...

its amazing. i have used this on car breakfast runs to logs the route that we have done as well as capture us racing to the legal speed limit... obviously...

have used it on off road cycles like the cycle challenge (use the Garmin mounts with the Virb as it holds the camera better then the Go-Pro mounts) and the recording is amazing as it has the video stability software.

can be used under a meter of water (but can get the case to take it further). As others have mentioned, you are able to connect to ANT+ devices and then add them to the video during editing. can control the camera using Garmin devices (edge 520, 800, 1000, smartwatches like 920, fenix 2 and 3 etc) as well as control the camera from your phone (think the Go-Pro has this as well). the battery last over 3 hours of full HD recording.

have dropped the camera on a few rocks after a off road ride and the covered proved quite rugged as there were no marks or scratches.

please note that this is my second camera as the first one had a software issue which caused it to beep endlessly. took this to Garmin who replaced the camera without issue.

take a lot have had a lot of deals lately where they have sold the camera for under R2k which is great value.

I have posted this an another thread but had no replies so here goes..

Has anybody managed to include a map overlay in their video? I can't figure out how to do it or even if it's possible. It appears when doing the editing but disappears on the export. As far as I can see there is a licensing issue.

Google searches reveal that it can't be done. Kind of negates my whole reason for buying it if true.

GoPro Hero4 Silver

Great product (I think).

Cost R5999 ish / 32 gig SD Card/R1000

Ninja Action cam

Comparable to the GoPro Hero3 except it has a screen. (distributor claim)

I am not going to do editing, make movies or posting the footage.

I just want footage for personal use/records of places I rode.

1. 32GB SD cards are much cheaper... R299-R399 depending wgere you shop.

2. With the GoPro app on the phone you connect with WiFi, so don't need a screen.

3. You will have to edit the footage otherwise you'll need a few TB HDD to keep all your footage.

YouTube works wonders to keep a "streamable" copy of your footage. You don't have to "edit" like a pro, but you may want to cut out some bits. There are stabdard programmes including the YouTube video creator that can do this.

Hope this helps somewhat

Like a dufus, I keep all my original files, as well as the .AVIs AND the final product, so yes, I have many TB HDDs. Can't explain why and some housekeeping is due.

Has anybody managed to include a map overlay in their video? I can't figure out how to do it or even if it's possible. It appears when doing the editing but disappears on the export. As far as I can see there is a licensing issue.

Google searches reveal that it can't be done. Kind of negates my whole reason for buying it if true.

for which camera?

The Virb Elite, sorry

hmm nope haven't seen that. I have been able to create many files with the overlays and they work just fine. 

have you spoken with Garmin support? or downloaded another version of the Virb Edit program?

I have the latest version of the software and can do all the overlays and even the map shows while I am editing but it disappears when I export. As I said Googling it seems to show it's a licence issue. Some people have got round it by putting in a static map and overlaying a track over it so I wondered if anyone here had experience of doing that or indeed another solution.

Google searches reveal that it can't be done. Kind of negates my whole reason for buying it if tr

you can if you import a gpx file into the Garmin virb software, i have taken video taken on my Drift Stealth 2 and my strava GPX exports. 

i have been able to combine the full set of overlays, from heart rate( cause i use my Polar Bluetooth sensor with strava) to speed, altitude and map data onto the video, i export to HD video and can then use my normal video editing software to create my videos.

its a lot of work as you need to position the start of the GPX to tie up to something you recognize in the video and its easy to be slightly off but does give a very very nice look to the video.

also check my review of the Stealth 2 camera.

take-alot has them at less than 2k at the moment and they are awesome.

full HD 2 up to 3 hours worth of battery life for recording and its nice and compact as well.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/152641-drift-stealth-2-user-review/

ill try find the how to guide to import the GPX data as an overlay that i followed and add to this post shortly.

Perhaps you think I have a GoPro?

I have just bought the flippin' Virb so let me get something out of it before I buy the drift, willya?  :eek:  

I have not got a monitor and don't see myself wanting one at the mo'. The Virb creates its own gpx files any way so I won't need to import them from another device.

I can insert all the standard overlays but what I really want is to have a track showing on a google (or any) map embedded into the video somewhere. . 

Have a look at this link on the Garmin Forums: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?58602-Map-in-output-(export)-of-VIRB&p=524448#post524448

Thanks very much. Did a bit of fiddling and it can be done with a bit of work. It seems you need to understand style sheets and is a bit techy. Considering Garmin is a map business, I consider it a fail that this kind of thing isn't available out the box.. Thanks again for the link. I may be back to you... :thumbup: