The Munga 2015

StevieL

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 more contenders rolling in to Sutherland

The most well rested of them being GU.....barring a mechanical......my money is safe.....

The most well rested of them being GU.....barring a mechanical......my money is safe.....

Where the smart money lies, I reckon, but at this point in the race, I wouldn't rule anything out...

Where the smart money lies, I reckon, but at this point in the race, I wouldn't rule anything out...

Oh yes....the world and human race is a life of endless possibilities.....Amy also opened a bit of a gap....she is sitting quite comfortable.....at this stage.....

Oh yes....the world and human race is a life of endless possibilities.....Amy also opened a bit of a gap....she is sitting quite comfortable.....at this stage.....

She amazes me. She doesn't look like an out-and-out athlete (ala Hannele Steyn), but, by-golly she would embarrass me on a bike.

So you're saying he sleeps for so little time that it barely registers on his graph. quite something. I wonder if in future people doing this race will find someway to have little micro sleeps while riding. I know I've dropped into deep sleep and actually dreamt in an eye blink. It was alarming to say the least. In teams of two I can imagine a relay of sorts. On long straight stretches this would theoretically be possible. If people can pull 360s of 6 story drops in utah I'm pretty sure some equivalent madness gets applied to events at this level.

His speed vs time graph shows that JN stopped 8 times varying between 15min to 2 hrs. I'm guessing that he has mastered a process of micro naps. However more important is that with 280kms to go GU would need 13.72 hours of riding to finish it ( That's assuming he mantains his average riding time of 20.4km/hr) while JN needs 14.36 hours to finish on the same assumption. This might be the last sleepy of their race as the real descending starts soon!

His speed vs time graph shows that JN stopped 8 times varying between 15min to 2 hrs. I'm guessing that he has mastered a process of micro naps. However more important is that with 280kms to go GU would need 13.72 hours of riding to finish it ( That's assuming he mantains his average riding time of 20.4km/hr) while JN needs 14.36 hours to finish on the same assumption. This might be the last sleepy of their race as the real descending starts soon!

Yeah. I was looking at that decent and although I know nothing about the area it really looks like something you want to be alert for. I googled GU and discovered that he was competing in the Hakahana enduro series so presumably will be no slouch on the downhills but then he's also tired and riding a rigid bike so you can't make assumptions.

Yeah. I was looking at that decent and although I know nothing about the area it really looks like something you want to be alert for. I googled GU and discovered that he was competing in the Hakahana enduro series so presumably will be no slouch on the downhills but then he's also tired and riding a rigid bike so you can't make assumptions.

That is one monster of a downhill coming. I think for most of them taking that nap is a really good idea.

He is an old hand at MTB......a very old hand...been around since the late 90's....raced on the Drifter team as well....is technically most likely the best guy on the course....

That is one monster of a downhill coming. I think for most of them taking that nap is a really good idea.

It was the first thing I noticed looking at the route profile. Not sure the 800km approach would be worth it for me though. I think I'd drive to Sutherland.

He is an old hand at MTB......a very old hand...been around since the late 90's....raced on the Drifter team as well....is technically most likely the best guy on the course....

I suspected that based on his times in the enduro series. But then I don't know the rest of the field. Frankly I'm not one for celebrity so I don't follow individuals but when someone is doing something like this you get curious about how the heck they got to that level.

I Personally think we can assume that he will be fast on anything.

Just my 5 cents worth

I Personally think we can assume that he will be fast on anything.

Just my 5 cents worth

True that. Actually as a hardtail rider I should be less presumptuous. I've done plenty on my bike that wasn't recommended for a hardtail. I'm sure he's damn fast on that rigid.

I suspected that based on his times in the enduro series. But then I don't know the rest of the field. Frankly I'm not one for celebrity so I don't follow individuals but when someone is doing something like this you get curious about how the heck they got to that level.

Likewise for me....I am not a celebrity stalker either.....I do on the other hand have some communications with "he who shall not be mentioned" who gave me GU's credentials......apparently they have had some good racing against one another in 24 hour events....."he who shall not be mentioned" also happens to speak very highly of GU....that's good enough in my book.....

Archived