Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

Don't you sell the planet X CX bike with CX1 for about the same price? except you get a bike free.... :)

You're looking at Euros and then Pounds...

Bike will be around R35000 (based on their promotion) - we can talk around these numbers...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, thought Ryanpmb was only bringing in frames. Was considering buying one and building.

But if I can just buy an entire bike, that seems like an option to consider.

PM'd

Hey guys, so I just bought a new bike with the intention of converting it to a cyclocross bike. I haven't seen it yet, still have to collect, paid a deposit.

1988 Bridgestone RB-2, 47cm

Check out my new ride:

post-12443-0-57986100-1438113159_thumb.jpgpost-12443-0-96393400-1438113168_thumb.jpgpost-12443-0-61198000-1438113176_thumb.jpg

So, what do you guys think, can it be done? Where should I start?

Edited by Catatonic_Joe

Hey guys, so I just bought a new bike with the intention of converting it to a cyclocross bike. I haven't seen it yet, still have to collect, paid a deposit.

1988 Bridgestone RB-2, 47cm

Check out my new ride:

hubmarket-56159-0-07842200-1438091703_med.jpg hubmarket-56159-0-23198300-1438091651_med.jpg hubmarket-56159-0-66428500-1438091685_med.jpg

So, what do you guys think, can it be done? Where should I start?

First off there's no fitment bosses for canti or V brakes and certainly no accommodation for discs. Tyre clearance also looks like it will be an issue. At most I guess you'll get 28C tyres on there.

Not a CX bike. But, that said, put the biggest tyres that fit and take her off-road - why not!

Cool bike regardless.

Edited by Ryanpmb

First off there's no fitment bosses for canti or V brakes and certainly no accommodation for discs. Tyre clearance also looks like it will be an issue. At most I guess you'll get 28C tyres on there.

I've done some research and seen quite a few guys converting old roadies to CX bike are fitting 'long reach' brakes, this guy for example (actually saw this guys project a while ago and was inspired by him to do this).

Here's a pic for those to lazy to check the link:

pa202133_thumb.jpg?w=487&h=366

So need to see where I can find a set of these.

Edited by Catatonic_Joe

for long reach calipers (57mm) the frame and fork needs to be built to accomadete them.

for example the soma smoothie frame is a regular road bike but there soomthie 'ES' frame is made for 57mm calipers.

I've done some research and seen quite a few guys converting old roadies to CX bike are fitting 'long reach' brakes, this guy for example (actually saw this guys project a while ago and was inspired by him to do this).

Here's a pic for those to lazy to check the link:

pa202133_thumb.jpg?w=487&h=366

So need to see where I can find a set of these.

The link takes one back to this page?

Those calipers may allow bigger tyres to fit. You'll still need to make sure that the fork crown and frame has clearance for the bigger tyres.

They're often used when changing wheel size to accommodate a bigger tyre. Guys run a smaller wheel, allowing a bigger tyre to fit but then the rim brake surface has moved from the original caliper position so the longer reach is required.

You'll also have a pretty racy geometry.

Like I said - try it. It'll be fun.

Fixed the link. Check it out, brilliant job he did with his road bike.

From the pics it was running fairly long reach calipers to begin with - the frame was obviously intended to run bigger volume tyres.

As I've said and Rock too - your frame and fork will need to accommodate this. Simply fitting long reach calipers won't necessarily allow for the bigger tyres. Check your frame tolerances.

You're looking at Euros and then Pounds...

Bike will be around R35000 (based on their promotion) - we can talk around these numbers...

Yes - I did notice that small oops.... :)

I might get there still - have a cotic to finish first - currently with Bogus for paint....

changing wheel size to accommodate a bigger tyre. 

smaller wheels, bigger tyres? like the cannondale slate - 650 x 42c ;)

smaller wheels, bigger tyres? like the cannondale slate - 650 x 42c ;)

Pity about the lefty fork.

Not CX, but my Parkwood 29 frames take a 27.5 rim with 2.8 tyres  :thumbup: .

Edited by Ryanpmb

Update on my X, just pulled the trigger on some Tune King Kong Hubs, ZTR Iron Cross rims, Ritchey disk brake carbon fork and some IRD mechanical callipers.... I am going to convert her to disks once they all arrive. RyanPMB is going to assist with the wheel build. Cant wait!

Oh, I will be selling my wheels, canti brakes, carbon canti fork and steel canti fork when I convert. Let me know if you are interested in anything.