Lateral knee pain...any suggestions?

Hi! Can I get that physios number from you? :-)

If it is ITB a physio friend of mine knows a magic bullet strapping technique for that.

However, I would first look at bike fit issues, specifically:

1) saddle height and fore/ aft position

2) shoes and alignment of cleats on the shoes, especially toe in/out.

You said you have not changed amything on the bike, OK but have you changed anything else, especially actions that load your knees differently such as new cycling or running shoes, hiking with heavy backpack, new excercises in the gym, carrying heavy stuff (i.e. moving house).

Regarding cycling shoes I have tried many. Favourites are the Spez bg range and Shimano. Shimano the best for me so far. The Spez shoes tend to tilt your foot slightly down on the outside (laterally wedged sole). Dunno what shoes you use but consider these possibilities.

Good luck in finding the cause...and a cure.

• 3 weeks later...

Had the same problem on one leg a few years ago - I could run without problems but 10min on the bike was agony. Dr suggested an op, but after readin up a bit I put a 2mm spacer between the cleat and shoe on the outside side. Sorted the problem within a week and I rode like that for years. Took it off and went for a bike fit and physio after also struggling with hip/pelvic misalgnment that caused other issues. Karen Frye in Durbanville identified weak hamstrings and tights quads and gave me stretching and strengthening exercises to do - sorted me out again totally. Figure 4 stretch is probably your best one.

Spook Groenewald and Erica Green at Daisyway coaching in SWest fitted my bike, and together with a different posture on the bike that really bumped my riding to a whole new level.

So... good bike fit with Spook, the right exercises from a good sports physio and some commitment will sort you out.

I feel somebody should stop crying, get a knee replacement, rip those ITBs out and replace them with a home made plastic pulley system ;) home surgery ftw.

Oh and train for CTCT. Or don't. Maybe then for once I may be able to go faster up the damn hill than you.....

Archived